PDA

View Full Version : Five Spot Burnet Moth

Jonathan Ashton
02-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Canon 50D Canon 180mm macro ISO 100 1/50 sec f16
Last year there was an explosion of these little gems. As soon as the female pupates a male swoops down and couples with her- before she even has time to eat or drink.

All comments welcome.

Julie Brown
02-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Another awesome image Jonathan! Good color and detail in the bugs. Nice BG at f16. A polarizer might reduce the reflections on the insect bodies.

Jerry van Dijk
02-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Hi Jonathan, this is a great image. Subject with story make something really special. I like the tremendous amount of DOF (all antennae are IF) in combination with the clean BG, and the diagonal and unusual perch. I might add a little contrast. I find the image on the light side and it will also reduce the impact of the reflections noted by Julie.
Very well done!

Markus Jais
02-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Wonderful capture. I like the composition here. Good colors and wonderful sharpness and DOF.
I agree with Julia about the polarizer.

Markus

Julie Kenward
02-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Well, ain't that just like a man. ;):D;) Amazing detail here...so crystal clear everywhere I look yet you managed to get a fantastic OOF bg as well. You took this at 1/50th of a second - did you use a tripod? Just wondering because this is so well done if it's handheld. Thanks for the story behind the image!

Mike Moats
02-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Hey Jonathan, great subjects, like the balance of the two critters. Love the nice sharp details and great BG. Good diagonal position of the subjects.

Jonathan Ashton
02-06-2010, 04:06 AM
Well, ain't that just like a man. ;):D;) Amazing detail here...so crystal clear everywhere I look yet you managed to get a fantastic OOF bg as well. You took this at 1/50th of a second - did you use a tripod? Just wondering because this is so well done if it's handheld. Thanks for the story behind the image!

I now always use a tripod unless it is impossible.