PDA

View Full Version : Four Spot Chaser Libellula quadrimaculata

Jonathan Ashton
02-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Canon 20D Canon Canon 180mm macro ISO 200 1/60 sec f10 tripod - breezy day!:(
An early start and I found a newly emerged adult, I gently transferred it to a stem that I had positioned on a small clamp on a separate lightweight tripod. I managed to squeeze off some shots in between the breeze.:)

All comments welcome.

Julie Brown
02-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Nice and sharp Jonathan! I love the wing detail and BG colors. You have cropped this tight, like I often do. Maybe give it a little more room around the dragonfly? You might also think about using a polarizer to eliminate reflections on the wings.

Jonathan Ashton
02-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Nice and sharp Jonathan! I love the wing detail and BG colors. You have cropped this tight, like I often do. Maybe give it a little more room around the dragonfly? You might also think about using a polarizer to eliminate reflections on the wings.

The polariser is an excellent idea - I just don't know why I hadn't thought of it before now, i suspect it will make an enormous difference in many circumstances e.g. reflections of chitinous bodies etc. Thanks for the tip!!

Jerry van Dijk
02-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Hi Jonathan, very nice dragonfly. Excellent crips details and nice colors. Getting rid of the highlights would be a good idea. I would also consider cropping some of the top to balance the composition.

Markus Jais
02-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Great detail and sharpness. Wonderful BG.
I agree with Jerry about cropping a bit of the top.

Markus

Julie Kenward
02-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Beautiful details and a nice complimentary BG, Jon! Only thing that I can think of to add would be to angle that perch and df next time so it's more on a diagonal across the image...just flip that camera a quarter turn and see what you think! Lovely work!

Anita Bower
02-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Very nice! Great detail. I like the various shades of brown.