PDA

View Full Version : Crested Kingfisher

RakeshDhareshwar
02-04-2010, 10:39 AM
http://www.rakeshdhareshwar.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/_DX_9536_c_kf_big_.jpg

Model = Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Lens = Canon 600mm f4 IS
Exposure Time = 1/320"
F Number = F5.6
Exposure Program = Aperture priority
ISO Speed Ratings = 1250
Metering Mode = Spot

A truly magnificent bird , a huge one at that . The size is to be seen to be believed !! The crest is really wonderful . Shot in the foothills of the Himalayas.
Click http://rakeshdhareshwar.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/the-call-of-the-himalayan-birds/ to read my blog on the visit to the mystical birding area.

Cheers,
Rakesh

Kiran Poonacha
02-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Great close up of this beauty Bhai, Loved the open Beak and the HA...

Bryan Hix
02-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Really interesting bird! I like the color, the crest, and open bill. The comp works well IMO also. The only suggestions I would make are the exposure seems a little dark, especially in the whites which seem gray. There is a bit of noise at that ISO setting, so opening up the exposure might reveal more noise in the darks. I would try playing around with selectively removing noise in those areas. A little tedious, but I think it will make it better. :)

Great birds on your blog!

saleeltambe
02-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Wonderful image Rakesh. The small piece of blue sky reflecting in the eyes makes it so lively and the beak is in good focus all through its length -appropriate DOF even at such higher focal length / short subject distance.

Kaustubh Deshpande
02-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Rakesh, thx for sharing this. I loved the tight crop and the open beak a lot. Given the conditions, doesnt look like you could have done a better job in the field. Selective NR on the BG will make it much better.

Callie de Wet
02-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks, a lovely mugshot, great eye an the open bill is a bonus. Slightly lighter and smaller than out Giant KF.

Doug Brown
02-04-2010, 11:54 AM
That bird's got great attitude! Love the open beak, great eye contact and raised crest feathers. Whites do look a little gray/blue, but shouldn't be difficult to fix. The resulting noise should be easy to deal with. A fine image!

Ofer Levy
02-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Nice portrait! Full of character! Would go brighter.

Harshad Barve
02-05-2010, 02:28 AM
Excellent image Rakesh , Open beak makes ths winner for me
TFS