PDA

View Full Version : Looking for places to Go?

Paul Lagasi
02-03-2010, 08:04 PM
I will be flying out to Phoenix, driving to Winslow AZ, Albuquerque NM, a stop at Bosque NM, Las Cruces NM, Bisbee AZ, Patagonia AZ, Tucson AZ then back to Phoenix.
I leave on the 18th and fly back home on the 25th...
I will try for Rosy-Finches at Sandia Crest....Mountain Plovers in the Sulphur Springs Valley, Leconte's Thrasher between Tucson and Phoenix....

Should I drive up or take the tram to Sandia Crest?

Any other places along the way you would recommend or avoid?

Anywhere I might be able to get some decent photos of a Western Grebe?

Anywhere I might see an Aplomado Falcon?

Thanks in Advance to BPN Memebers who reply.....

Jeff Parker
02-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Bosque will give you a chance at an Aplomado. Can't comment on the rest.

Paul Lagasi
02-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks Jeff

Doug Brown
02-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Aplomado and Western Grebe are both possibilities at the Bosque. You have to drive to the top of the Sandias to see the Rosy-Finches; the tram doesn't get you where you want to go.

Paul Lagasi
02-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Thanks Doug..

James Prudente
02-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Paul,

In the Tucson area, Agua Caliente Park, Sweetwater Wetlands, Madera Canyon, Florida Canyon, Las Cienegas, Catalina State Park, to name a few. Get a copy of Finding Birds in Southeast Arizona by the Tucson Audubon Society and it has maps, timing, etc. and is an excellent addition to your library.

Drop me an email when you are in the Tucson area and I will probably be able to steer you to some additional locations that are producing some of the rarities that may be here. Spring has come to S.E. Arizona and it looks like you will have great weather for your trip.

Link for you http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/AZNM.html

Cheers,

Jim

Paul Lagasi
02-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Thanks James for your reply..I have a copy of the book (although its a 2004 copy) and I usually check out the website daily. Its always nice to hear from someone local to the area...they know where the birds are...I should be in Tucson the 23rd or 24th.
My Main focus on this trip is to see Rosy-Finches, Mountain Plover, Bendire's and Leconte's Thrasher...Montezuma Quail.
Is Madera Canyon good at this time of the year?
Will probably go to Sweetwater and Arizona-Sonita Desert Museum always good for photo ops
Paul