PDA

View Full Version : IS problem with 100-400....av 00 on display

Marko Matesic
02-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Today while photographing moorhens problem occurred ....
I use canon 20D and canon 100-400 IS L for three years as my every day lens and until today never had problem but today when I switch on my stabilizer unit camera is blocked and display show Av 00....then I must detach lens and turn of camera to make it work properly....and it works fine until I switch on IS unit....:(
Is anybody had that problem.....I try to find on Google but without luck....
Question is should I send it to Canon and what is price for repairing IS unit ......
Hope you understand my question.
THX for help.....

Robert O'Toole
02-21-2008, 04:38 PM
This exact problem just happened to me recently unfortunately the IS unit had to be repaired at Canon. The cost was $300 or so and they even replaced the lens mount that was very worn.

sorry to hear you have the IS problem.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
02-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Just grabbed my Canon repair order and it says Error 00 display when IS is turned on, camera locks up.
Examined IS unit and unit was found to be defective, replaced IS unit.

All works well now.

Robert

Marko Matesic
02-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Thank you Robert on your kind answer.....I will send it to Canon and try to repair...hope they can repair it in Croatia :( !?!
After repair I will probably sell it and buy 400 5,6...no IS ...no problem :))

David Kennedy
02-21-2008, 07:22 PM
I had a somewhat similar problem with my 400 DO. The IS motor died and had to be replaced. I believe with a CPS discount it came to $270.00. Your idea of selling it is not a bad one. The 400 5.6 is a fine lens.

Robert O'Toole
02-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Marko,

Sounds like a good plan, as david mentioned the 400/5-6 is a great lens, one of my all time favorite Canons. The AF is super quick compared the the 100-400. The only drawback is the quick AF comes with a cost and that is a 1 KM minimum close focus distance :D

Just realized you share a name with a famous Rally driver (now retired) Marko Martin from EST. Everyone would yell M-A-A-A-R-K-O at the rallys. Loved to watch him drive flat out.

Robert

Marko Matesic
02-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Thx David for advice:) I`ll do that.
..... and Robert you really make me smile :))