PDA

View Full Version : Swamp Harrier

edward saltau
01-02-2008, 08:26 PM
hey guys, first post from someone pretty new to bird photography and photography in general.
took this while looking into the sun at sunset 2 days ago. would love to here to tips about it.
exif:
canon 40D
90-300mm 4.5-5.6
ISO- 400
1/2500
f7.1 @+2/3 exp. comp

http://edwardsaltau.smugmug.com/photos/238938446-X2.jpg

Alfred Forns
01-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi Edward, Neat bird Got him with a great head turn Light was not kind to you here For a backlit bird you need to crank up the compensation a lot more With Cloudy overcast I usually go 2 2/3 The sky will be totally blown but the bird will be properly exposed

If you have a strong light from the back it will be tough Hoping to see lots more !!!!!

Arthur Morris
01-02-2008, 10:11 PM
In spite of the severe underexposure I like it; the backlit eye just peeking out adds a bit of mystery... Oooooh...

lal, artie

hugh robateau
01-02-2008, 10:23 PM
As Al said, with that lighting you have to decide wether you want a well exposed bird or sky. I prefer a grey sky than totally white one, but I think the bird is more important so I would expose for the bird and let the sky go white (It happened to me on recent trip to Klamath Falls to shoot the eagles).

edward saltau
01-03-2008, 06:52 PM
thanks guys. wow i can't believe art liked my photo. how very cool.
I feel a bit ashamed that i posted an underexposed photo when all i know about bird photography comes from art's books...haha
thanks all, i spose with this image its a decision between a silhouhette or a white background. thats why i decided to convert to B&W to work on the mystery side of the image.
thanks again