PDA

View Full Version : Small white

Jonathan Ashton
02-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Canon 20D Canon 100mm macro IS0 200 -1/3EV 1/400 sec f9
This is one of the most common butterflies in England, I think it was taken on one of those days we had some sunshine - it was a long time ago!
All comments welcome.

Julie Brown
02-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Nice backlighting Jonathan. You can see some of the dorsal wing spots here. These guys rarely open their wings when perched-unless they are cold and are basking.

Markus Jais
02-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Beautiful shot. I like the back light and the calm BG. Exposure looks perfect here.
Maybe a little fill flash might have been a good idea but I am not sure.

Markus

Julie Kenward
02-03-2010, 07:34 PM
A nice bf image, Jonathan. I like how we can see his eye so clearly and you've got good details from head to toe (so to speak!) I see you have this sized at roughly 10x14 - try taking it down to an 8x10 with just a small amount of room at the back of the butterfly and all the rest of the room at the front and see if that doesn't position him a bit better in the frame. Also, see the two larger leaves - one on each side of the plant? I'd clone those out because they are only partially included in the frame. It's always nice to TRY to get a clean boundary when you can (it's not always possible!)

Allen Sparks
02-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Love the detail and lighting...awesome shot! Agree with Julie on cloning out the partial leaves.

Jerry van Dijk
02-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Hi Jonathan, beautiful shot of a common butterfly! The backlight and slightly translucent wings make this really something special. Agree on those leaves, but simply would crop some of the bottom of the image. I like the composition as presented, but the closer crop suggested by Julie might work equally well.

Anita Bower
02-05-2010, 07:59 AM
I got out my magnifying glass to look at the detail in this image. Lovely! I like the back or side lighting that allows the little hairs to glow and the wings to be transparent. I agree about the cloning the two leaves. Great shot!