PDA

View Full Version : Important info re: Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Dick Ginkowski
02-03-2010, 09:44 AM
If you're planning a spring shoot in the Smokies (as I have done for the past 15 years) be aware of massive road closures and construction: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/road-facility-improvments.htm

I'll be looking for a new place to shoot the third weekend in April. Any thoughts?

Joel DeYoung
02-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Wow, I thought it was only Cades Cove that was going to be closed. From what I see on the map, a lot of my favorite places are going to be closed down. I am usually down there for the Wildflower Pilgrimage during April. I just may have to skip this year. Bummer the Gatlinburg bypass, (The most handy road if staying between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge) is closed. It looks like it's going to be a mess for a while. Thanks for the heads up.

Dick Ginkowski
02-03-2010, 10:49 AM
And Roaring Fork, often a better spring choice than Cades Cove, is also closed.

Brent Powell
02-03-2010, 02:51 PM
If you are looking for wildflowers I'd head up the Blue Ridge Parkway toward Mt. Mitchell. Last year was plentiful all along the parkway. Also if you haven't explored the Greenbrier area it has some great trails, lots of water scenery and an assorment of wildlife. We always rent a cabin at Cobly Knob which is very close to Greenbrier.