PDA

View Full Version : Young Green Herons

Stephen Stephen
01-02-2008, 08:23 PM
I created this image at the end of June. A pair of Green Herons had successfully reared five youngsters who had left the nest a day or two before I found them. The young ones were climbing all through the trees as they waited for their parents to return with food.

After photopraphing them for about half an hour they all decided to settle down together on one branch close to where their nest had been. The angle is steep and the background is quite busy in this shot but I had no way to get move higher or to change position.

Canon REBEL XT with Sigma 50-500mm on Manfrotto Monopod with fill flash. Full frame image.

ExposureTime - 1/125 seconds
FNumber - 8.00
ISOSpeedRatings - 400
Flash - Flash fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 266 mm
ExposureMode - Manual
White Balance - Sunny

Fabs Forns
01-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Lovely family portrait! I know what you ean about the angle, but not much more you could have done. I like the foreground a lot, the way it's arranged around the chicks.

For the background, I may select it and darken it and try to eliminate the blue spots, a bit distracting to an otherwise attractive image.

We'll try and make your BPN experience a fruitful one!

Bonnie Block
01-02-2008, 10:09 PM
I like this alot! Love the foreground---it is a unique shot!

Arthur Morris
01-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Despite the steep angle to the birds you have created an interesting image. The arrangement of the chicks is both perfect and priceless. In simliar situations, make sure that your tripod is set up as high as possible by extending the legs fully and even pulling them in a bit.

lal, artie

Stephen Stephen
01-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Thank you for the constructive criticism. I know that I'll learn a lot here.