PDA

View Full Version : Jobu Gimball heads, are they good?

pauloanjo
02-02-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm looking for a Jobu BWG-LW mkII or a Jobu Jr 2 - Compact Gimbal Head for my 300mm lens. Are they smoth and stuff enought? Any one has experienced these gimbals?

paulo anjo

Giulio Zanni
02-02-2010, 10:55 AM
The last generation is excellent. I use BWG-Pro withe Sigmonster and BWG-LW MkII with smaller lenses.

Giulio

john jackson
02-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Giulo

Would you say that the BWG-LW would fit/support a lens as large as a 300/f2.8 or 400/f4 with extenders? I am looking for something lighter than a ballhead/sidekick combination. In comparison to the Jobu, the Mongoose is more expensive after UK import duty (Jobu is sold in UK and Mongoose is not).

Also, I have read complaints (on here, I think) that previous Jobu designs slipped with the weight of a lens after tightening. Are the new versions OK in this regard?

Thank you

Michael Bertelsen
02-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Hi John,

I upgraded to the Jobu Pro because bought a Sigma 300 - 800 5.6.
It's extremely strong and very smooth, and you could hang from this gimbal head and it would never slip.
A client of mine loves his BWG-LW and uses it on his 500 f4. So I would think it would be good for anything under that size.

Michael

Roy Churchill
02-02-2010, 01:35 PM
I have the BWG-HD MKII which is an excellent Gimbal IMO. the BWG-LW is exactly the same head as the BWG-HD but the HD has the full gimbal attachment whereas the LW is a sidekick type mount. I prefer the HG because I find it easier to mount the lens. You can convert the HG into a LW by simply removing the full Gimbal attachment if you want.

Roy

Giulio Zanni
02-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Giulo

Would you say that the BWG-LW would fit/support a lens as large as a 300/f2.8 or 400/f4 with extenders? I am looking for something lighter than a ballhead/sidekick combination. In comparison to the Jobu, the Mongoose is more expensive after UK import duty (Jobu is sold in UK and Mongoose is not).

Also, I have read complaints (on here, I think) that previous Jobu designs slipped with the weight of a lens after tightening. Are the new versions OK in this regard?

Thank you

Absolutely, I use the BW-LW MkII with the 300/2.8. I don't have experience with the previous Jobus, but I find the current ones to be excellent. I know that I am not going to be popular here, but I prefer the BW-LW MkII to the Mongoose. The lock of my Mongoose was stiff and especially in the cold I often hurt my finger when locking/unlocking...

Giulio

Chris Ober
02-02-2010, 04:51 PM
I reviewed one of their first model gimbal heads a few years back and found it was a fine performer. I still have it. It's an earlier version of what I believe they are not calling the Jr. I have not doubts the current line are just as good of products. The owner was very knowledgeable and quick to respond to inquiries.

Brad Manchas
02-02-2010, 08:59 PM
I have both the Jr and BWG-HD, and am more than happy with the heads. Neither has had any issue with movement after being locked down and both are smooth and easily tensionable. I use these for 400mm DO on the Jr and the 500mm on the BWG.

In the field in Klamath, OR last year with a few Canon reps and Adam Jones playing with the 800mm f/5.6 on both the Jobu and Wimberly's (they had) there was nothing but compliments on the Jobu and quetions on how I bought mine. Which was direct from Canada to save a bit more on the exchange rate over B&H or other retailer closer to home.

As Martha Stewart might say; Jobu, it is a good thing. :D

pauloanjo
02-03-2010, 06:04 AM
Thank you for your opinions. Currently I have an 300mm f/4 lens, but in the future I plan to buy an 300mm f/2.8.

So I was wondering if the Jobu Jr 2 - Compact Gimbal Head will be enouth to hold tight this lens with a 1.4X for example.

paulo anjo

Dan Busby
02-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Paulo - I have the MKII and use it with my 500 f4. It is very high quality. Very smooth and very light. I really prefer the HD vs the LW because with a heavy lens you are less likely to have mounting difficulties - it is easier to set the lens down on the plate than to hold the lens in place as you mount it sideways onto the plate of the LW. Having said that I know some who don't mind that situation.

john jackson
02-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks Giulio and others for helpful comments. And all positive. Interesting.

Roy Churchill
02-04-2010, 03:58 AM
Thank you for your opinions. Currently I have an 300mm f/4 lens, but in the future I plan to buy an 300mm f/2.8.

So I was wondering if the Jobu Jr 2 - Compact Gimbal Head will be enouth to hold tight this lens with a 1.4X for example.

paulo anjo
Paulo

I had the Jobu Jr for my 400/5.6 but when I got to the 300/2.8 I upgraded to the BWG-HD II.
Although the Jr will take the weight of the 300 it is not recommended, I tried it a few times and it is nowhere near as stable as the BWG-HD.

Roy

Jay Abrams
02-04-2010, 02:41 PM
How well did the Jr. work with your 400 5.6? Did you get the kit, or use the sideways mount? Thanks.

Roy Churchill
02-04-2010, 03:03 PM
How well did the Jr. work with your 400 5.6? Did you get the kit, or use the sideways mount? Thanks.
Jay, I found the Jr superb with the 400/5.6 (including with a 1.4tc) I got the kit but to be quite honest I preferred the sideways mount, the 400/5.6 is light enough to mount easily sideways and it is not really heavy enough to work well with the bottom mount IMO.

Roy