PDA

View Full Version : Penguin Tracks - Origin

Jay Gould
02-02-2010, 03:40 AM
Hi, here is the origin of the close-up of the Penguin Tracks. We were out Zodiak cruising and I was using the 24-105 onthe 5D2 and the 70-200 on the 7D when we came across these tracks on the berg. We were putting around in a summer winter wonderland - I have lots of bergs to show you! :D

In the middle of this track is the imprint of a penguin. When they come out of the water the literally shoot up in the air and land on the berg; generally on their feet. Not this time :(; splat and back into the water!

This track shows that the penguin walked/hopped up to the top of the track, flopped down on its belly and pushed itself back to the water. A magnified view of the return track shows that the penguin only used the left flipper for glide along.

I had thought about toning down the image; however, it was a very bright day.

One of the things I experimented with was how much EC to apply; generally + 1 1/3 up to +2 if I didn't blow the highlights. The closer I could get to +2 without blowing highlights the whiter the snow. This is reasonably close to what it looked like at the time of capture.

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 10 Jan 10; 8am
Light condition: sunny with clouds
Lens: 24-105 f/4
Focal length: 28mm
Distance: 4.5m
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no;
ISO: 200
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1/125 sec
Aperture: f/22
Exp Comp: + 1 1/3
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: AI Servo
Tripod: yes
Filter: None
Crop: minimal
Processed in LR 3 (beta) and then resized in CS4 - plus Pixel Genius Sharpening.
All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Dave Mills
02-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Hi Jay, I like the way you presented the iceberg with it's shape creating a diagonal that runs through the image. Obviously warmer light would have added to the image but you did a good job handling the light you had at the time. There is detail in the clouds but a GND might have brought more...would be worth trying in situations like these.
Nice seeing the tracks you posted previously in the grander scene. Your having a very interesting trip with a wide variety of subject matter....

Kobus Tollig
02-03-2010, 08:07 AM
Rea;;y like the comp well done on this. I think you did great here wih the exposure

Dave Leroy
02-03-2010, 12:28 PM
A trip of a lifetime Jay and good for you. Pretty neat to see that penguin imprint. No closer shot of that?
Dave

Jay Gould
02-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Hi Jay, I like the way you presented the iceberg with it's shape creating a diagonal that runs through the image. Obviously warmer light would have added to the image but you did a good job handling the light you had at the time. There is detail in the clouds but a GND might have brought more...would be worth trying in situations like these.
Nice seeing the tracks you posted previously in the grander scene. Your having a very interesting trip with a wide variety of subject matter....

Hi and thanks for the comments. Regarding use of a GND let me set the scene. We are 8 sometimes 10 in the Zodiak. Most of us have two cameras around their necks: me - 70-200 on a 7D; 24-105 on the 5D2. As we move in on an agreed subject to shoot the people on the side facing the subject drop down on their knees and the off side stands up. No time for filters; hardly time to check settings!

No such thing as warm light during the day; it is either overcast or glaring.

As the enormity of trip is remembered in the images, I can understand why people take the trip more than once.

Robert Amoruso
02-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Regarding use of a GND let me set the scene. We are 8 sometimes 10 in the Zodiak. Most of us have two cameras around their necks: me - 70-200 on a 7D; 24-105 on the 5D2.

Jay,

If your goal is too get it right in the camera and I believe it should be, you need to find a way. Both of these lenses have front elements that do not rotate (if I recall correctly) allowing you to have at least one with a GND filter screwed in place. Using the zoom function, you frame it lose enough so that you can crop a better composition later since the GND will mandate horizons in the center.

Having the GND on may cause you to lose a few opportunities but will also allow you to get a lower dynamic range on the ones that fit with its use.

Jay Gould
02-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Jay,

If your goal is too get it right in the camera and I believe it should be, you need to find a way. Both of these lenses have front elements that do not rotate (if I recall correctly) allowing you to have at least one with a GND filter screwed in place. Using the zoom function, you frame it lose enough so that you can crop a better composition later since the GND will mandate horizons in the center.

Having the GND on may cause you to lose a few opportunities but will also allow you to get a lower dynamic range on the ones that fit with its use.

Hi Bob, fortunately or perhaps more correctly unfortunately I have departed Antarctica and the situation I described. Under normal circumstances I definitely agree that a GND should have been used as well as a tripod.

My GNDs do not screw into place as I use Singh Ray Z size with a Cokin wide angle holder. I have rings for the holder to allow it to be used with my 70-200, 24-105, and 16-35. It would not be possible to use the SR stuff in the Zodiak.

Thanks for your thoughts; I definitely agree that the goal is to get it right in the camera. :D

Robert Amoruso
02-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the response Jay;)

Markus Jais
02-04-2010, 03:59 AM
I like the composition. The penguin tracks are a great bonus. Great work on difficult exposure situation.

Markus

Jay Gould
02-07-2010, 06:00 PM
A trip of a lifetime Jay and good for you. Pretty neat to see that penguin imprint. No closer shot of that?
Dave

Mate, my pleasure to fill your request!

To understand this splat it is necessary to understand how these penguins exit the water. The literally shoot up in the air and land on their feet upright. Most of the time they get it right - I will be posting two images of penguins shooting up out of the water onto rocks ( one got it very right; the other - oops!).

This penguin got it really wrong and fortunately it was soft snow to cushion the landing :cool:

Dave Leroy
02-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks for posting Jay and I am sure it must be an awesome sight to see. Dave