PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Phoebe

Bill Dix
02-01-2010, 01:50 PM
D90; 80-400 VR @ 400mm. ISO 800, f/5.6 @ 1/1600s. 0EV. HH. Cropped to vert, 90% of original height.

Came across this in my files from last May. This fellow and his mate had built a nest in the joists of the viewing platform at the local wildlife refuge. C&C always appreciated.

Randy Stout
02-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Bill:

Sharp, nicely exposed, good head angle. You did well with this lens, since it isn't at its best at that focal length and f/stop.

The light angle left the underparts and perch in shadow, but I still find it an effective image.

Might consider cropping down from the top about 1/3 of the free space. If you have more to the right, just a sliver more might be nice.

Cheers

Randy

Ted Willcox
02-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Neat subject. Nice detail. I would like to see the bird up in the frame a little.
Ted

Don Lacy
02-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Nice looking Phobe, Agree with the crop from the top and a little more space to the right.

Bill Dix
02-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Bill:

Sharp, nicely exposed, good head angle. You did well with this lens, since it isn't at its best at that focal length and f/stop.

The light angle left the underparts and perch in shadow, but I still find it an effective image.

Might consider cropping down from the top about 1/3 of the free space. If you have more to the right, just a sliver more might be nice.

Cheers

Randy

Thanks Randy. Interesting you should say that. Since taking this last May, I've also discovered that I do better by backing off just a bit on the zoom and using a slightly smaller aperture. And I agree about the crop - this was a default 2:3 proportion which certainly isn't necessary for web posting. Thanks for looking.

Stu Bowie
02-02-2010, 01:49 AM
Super Comp, and I like how the tail follows the perch. Good detail, although Im picking up a hint of oversharpening, especially around the eye and chest. I like the soft colours in te BG too.