PDA

View Full Version : Boundary Bay

Dave Leroy
02-01-2010, 12:14 PM
As I am often out birding and see these lovely scenes I have an inclination to try and capture them. This is presunrise light and looking almost straight south, perhaps a tad west. The closest tree covered islands are about 20 miles, 35 k's, away. 50D, 500mm at f/11, 1/60 and ISO800. I have cropped off both top and bottom for the pano. Dave

Dave Mills
02-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Hi Dave, Interesting scene with the foreground waterlines adding alot to the interest. Not quite sure how I liked the patches of dark blue in the distance along with the white spaces but they seemed to grow on me the more I looked. Another cropping option would be to crop below the long cloud on top....

Robert Amoruso
02-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Dave,

I know haze can cut clarity but it seems at your exposure the BG should be sharper.

I am the opposite of Dave, I am not keen on the lines in the FG and like a crop better from the bottom just above the lines.

Dave Leroy
02-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks Dave and Robert for the looks and comments. I am not sure what effect the limited dof would have on your comment Robert. The islands are a long way off so I don't know what other water vapor, haze, or air disturbances would add to the "softness".
I will keep the comment in mind when i get out there this spring with a 70/200mm when the sandpipers are headed north and see if there is a difference when things are in focus.
Dave

Robert Amoruso
02-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Dave,

I was alluding to my belief that DOF should have been enough at f/11 but when I read the specs I read it at 50mm and not 500mm. At 500mm, I see that DOF would not be enough.

Going to a 70-200mm will certainly increase DOF.

You can check it here at http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html.

My preference is generally to have near to far acceptability sharp in landscape images.