PDA

View Full Version : License for One-time Reproduction Question

david cramer
02-01-2010, 10:27 AM
I've had a request from a local person who would like to purchase and print one of my images with his Epson 9800 on canvas. I have not met this person, so I don't have an established relationship with him. Is anyone aware of a procedure that can guarantee a one-time use of an image? Since the person is local, I could always deliver the image on DVD and be there to make sure he doesn't copy it onto his computer, but I wondered if there is a better system that wouldn't require me to act like Big Brother.

Chris Hansen
02-01-2010, 01:41 PM
David,

The best way to protect yourself is to make up simple contract stating that you are selling the image to him for one time use. Be sure to and specify the price and what that useage is limited to this and only this.
Buy youself a copy of

ASMP: Professional Business Practices in Photography

It has samples of various contracts that will come in handy if you start marketing your work.
You should also be flattered that he likes your work that much. Don't get overly worked up about this. Just make up the contract and make two copies. Have him sign one and you keep the other.

Good luck and God bless,

chris