PDA

View Full Version : Golden-fronted Woodpecker

Alan Murphy
02-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Golden-fronted Woodpecker

Alamo, TX

D3, 600, ISO 1000, F9, 1/500, -0.7 EV, fill@ -2.3.

One from my setup last week, which can be seen here: http://alanmurphyphotography.com/blog/

Bryan Hix
02-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Beautiful bird and perch. Lighting/flash all look great and natural. My only suggestion would be to bring down a little of the highlights of the lichens if you wanted to. Another nice one Alan.

Markus Jais
02-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Fantastic shot. Nothing not to like here. The shots in your blog post are even more amazing. The flying Kiskadee is just insane!
I will order your Ebook!

Markus

Dave Walz
02-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Alan, i purchased your DVD on songbird setups and I am just starting to play with your ideas. One question, where to buy the berries and such that you use. Are they native to your area or do you buy them from a source in the areas you are working in? Thanks for your great posts and all of your ideas.

Alan Murphy
02-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Alan, i purchased your DVD on songbird setups and I am just starting to play with your ideas. One question, where to buy the berries and such that you use. Are they native to your area or do you buy them from a source in the areas you are working in? Thanks for your great posts and all of your ideas.

Dave, sometimes you can find a shrub or small tree with berreis at a nursery, but I mostly find them gowing in neibourhoods and ask the owners if I can cut a piece. I do find a lot of berry options growing wild in public areas too. I'm just always watching and looking for perches and if I see some I make a log of the location and go back and cut what I need when I'm doing a shoot.

arash_hazeghi
02-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Excellent Alan, what I love about this image is the perfect angle, with the advantage of setup you can avoid the steep angle which is what I usually get in the wild.

Mike Lentz
02-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Wonderful eye contact, sharpness and multicolored buttery BG!
Its nice to have the perch and beak seperation on this image! But you knew this. ;)

Ted Willcox
02-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Great composition. Nice head turn. Beautiful colours. Toning down some of the very brightest whites on the tree might improve it?
Ted