PDA

View Full Version : Fish River Canyon Floor

Morkel Erasmus
02-01-2010, 03:28 AM
Last year we hiked the Fish River Canyon trail in Namibia, which takes you over 80km through the bottom of the 2nd largest canyon in the world (my US-based friends sport the largest one of course).

Surprisingly, an abundance of life flourishes around the trickling river that flows through the canyon. We found leopard tracks on multiple days, wild desert horses twice and a plethora of birds, hyrax, baboons and reptiles. The water even had decently sized fish in it.

This was taken around noon as we stopped for lunch - and in the desert the light is not your friend during that time. I am still pleased with how this shot came out in the end, showing the canyon walls looming around you and the big African sky. Cooling filters in PS helped tone the harsh light.

Cropped slightly from the bottom to lose a fellow hiker sitting on a rock.

Techs:
Canon 1000D with 18-55mm IS @ 25mm
f11 @ ISO-100

Dave Mills
02-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi Morkel, Interesting rock formation. Would have liked to have seen more of the water on the bottom but the hiker nullified that. Was there a reflection in the water of the rock formation? Considering the harsh light you handled it well in PS. Might add a bit more room to the top....

Robert Amoruso
02-02-2010, 02:23 PM
I got three words for you Morkel: Reverse S-Curve!! ;)

Morkel Erasmus
02-02-2010, 03:06 PM
thanks Dave & Robert.

Robert - I did apply the reverse s-curve here with selective increase in blacks and neutrals thereafter :)
Should I do it again?

Robert Amoruso
02-03-2010, 03:23 PM
thanks Dave & Robert.

Robert - I did apply the reverse s-curve here with selective increase in blacks and neutrals thereafter :)
Should I do it again?

Perhaps, that is one contrasty subject.

Morkel Erasmus
02-03-2010, 04:20 PM
okay I gave it another whack...your thoughts now? the difference is subtle...

Robert Amoruso
02-03-2010, 04:51 PM
It is subtle but noticable IMO. I like it better.