PDA

View Full Version : Going.., going..., coming back

Richard Stern
02-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Last night's total lunar eclipse. 3 images about 30 mins. apart. D300, Tamron 200-500 at 500mm., aperture priority, spot-metered on the part of the moon I thought was about mid brightness.

Richard

Robert Amoruso
02-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Hi Richard.

I was wondering when we would get a post of the eclipse. Unfortunately where I am at was a no-go; clouds. But I am glad you had a good view. I hope that you will up your wide dimension to 800p and file size to 145kb so we can enjoy a larger view.

Nice presentation!

Alfred Forns
02-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Way Cool !!!! Love to see plan come together !!!!! btw wouldn't the exposure be 11/ISO for the moon?

Richard Stern
02-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Sorry - I mis-interpreted the rules for size in this forum. Here's one with the horizontal at 800p. The exposures for the 3 images were 1/4, f6.3, 1/8, f6.3, /8, f6.3 - all aperture priority, auto iso (1600, defaulted to 3200 in the R.hand one), tripod with self-timer, raw -> Lightroom adjustments, cropped vertical then merged in PSE3.

Thanks for the comments.

Richard

David Kennedy
02-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Richard,
Very cool idea. I can see a clear distinction in the exposure of the moon in full eclipse--the empty space around it is not black like on the left 2/3's of the image, but more like a dark gray or almost navy. Kind of like the moon got dressed in the dark and grabbed a navy shirt when it thought it was reaching for a black one. Or maybe I'm just projecting my own failings upon it :D

Richard Stern
02-21-2008, 10:32 PM
David, I think you are correct - I can't see this on my computer screen, but it's obvious in an 8 x 10 print. I re-printed after reducing the gamma and increasing the contrast a little, and then it goes away and the bg becomes uniform. I thought it was the printer!

Richard

Robert O'Toole
02-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks for posting this Richard, very interesting. Amazing the middle image looks smaller since it is not a full disk.

Robert

Howard Burkert
02-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Richard, Your image is very nice! I also photographed the eclipse and will post when the files are processed. Very interesting about the moons rotation from your location compared to mine, in Ohio USA. Temp was 5 degrees but was worth it.Thanks for sharing yours.
Best,
Howard

Jim Poor
02-22-2008, 02:01 PM
That's really nice.

As for the color shift in the blacks, I can't see it on my laptop (yes, I see all the gradations in the calibration strip) but using a digital color meter, I can clearly define the line where the third image was stitched.

Noel Carboni
02-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Very nice, the colors look pretty good from here.

If you're using Photoshop, here's a good trick for seeing what's happening in the dark parts of your image:

1. Layer - New Adjustment Layer - Curves (over the top of the image you're working on).

2. Pull the curves wayy up. Don't worry about clipping, be aggressive. You're not going to keep this layer.

3. Enable visibility of this layer to see what's happening in the darkest levels. Disable it to see what things will look like in the final image.

4. Delete (or make invisible) the layer when you're done.

Hope this helps.

-Noel