PDA

View Full Version : Heads-up at Green Cay!!

Don Hamilton Jr.
01-31-2010, 09:08 PM
Good Evening: As a heads-up, i want to pass this along as an Alert. I've been hearing about this behavior at Green Cay. Today i received this "alert". If it saves someone's equipment or safety then it is worth reading. Seems, like a great reason to have our BPN Get Together at Waco....See you all then.
Good Evening
Don
Quote "After two reported incidents that came to my attention of members of the meetup group being deliberately shoved at Green Cay on Saturday, I spoke to the management at Green Cay Visitor's Center this afternoon. I filed a formal written complaint on behalf of the group.

If you are injured by anyone, feel that you are in danger, or if your equipment or personal items are damaged due to an assault, please report it directly to the park ranger and the Palm Beach County Sheriff's office. Please do not engage in any physical confrontation with anyone (regardless of the urge to pickup the person and throw them to the gators, we must resist). If anyone deliberately shoves or pushes you at Green Cay, and there is no harm to you or damage to your gear, please report it to the park management immediately during the visitor's center hours and to the park rangers otherwise.

Until the situation improves, we will not be attending Green Cay as a meetup group.

Park Management: (561) 966-7000 (Tuesday through Friday 10:00am to 4:30pm, Saturday 8:15am through 4:30pm, and Sunday 10:00am through 4:30pm)

Park Rangers: (561) 252-1714

Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office: (561) 688-3000

It is incredibly unfortunate that this is happening, but after members of the group reported the assaults this weekend, I cannot condone not taking any action in this matter. We cannot control the actions of others, but we can maintain our own dignity and treat others as we wish to be treated: with respect and courtesy.

Elizabeth Martin
Asst. Organizer
South Florida Nature and Wildlife Photography Meetup Group

Fabs Forns
01-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Last year, a student of mine had his 500 mounted on a tripod on the V that leads to a gazebo while he was working with his hand held lens.
A lady "tripped" on his gear, sending the whole setup straight into the water. Needless to say, the lady "had nothing to do with it", it seems the 500 and tripod got hot and decided to refresh.
The companion was heard saying as he was leaving: "what is he so upset about, it's only a camera"

Alfred Forns
01-31-2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the heads up Don. Who was responsible? I know some of the walkers are not all that happy with any photographer but can't imagine getting hostile !!!

.... remember the incident well Fabs !!! Also remember the lady saying it was the wind that pushed the rig over !!!

Fabs Forns
01-31-2010, 09:25 PM
And another incident comes to my mind. A couple of years ago, Artie came over to GC and we were all working a juvenile Green Heron perched on the railing. There were maybe over a dozen photogs, some with tripods some without and some watcher. An old gentleman (probably incorrect use of the word) came and shoved the bird away in front of everyone. Neat, huh?

Don Hamilton Jr.
01-31-2010, 09:32 PM
Hi Al, and Fabs, Man, i'm very sorry to hear of this!! This issue has been " brewing ' for some time with many reports, of nasty, and deliberate disrespect to photographers, and their personal being. I guess this week, it escalated into folks actually "intentionally" running into you, and making comments that you should not have been there. Sad for sure, bad news for them though .. the "rules" clearly state no speedwalking, jogging or running.. so now those folks that couldn't co-exist have opened up a can of worms. Now the park rangers, and police are being called, and the manager is too, several times a day. I think there's room for everyone, however as a tax payer of palm Beach county, and entitled to safely use Green Cay, "Those inconsiderate Folks", have awoken the wrong folks! Man, Can't folks just get along???:confused:
Don

Harold Davis
02-01-2010, 02:03 PM
makes me want to go out there even more now!!! mean people suck! i'd hate to see one "accidently" run into me.

and you guys are right. i might would expect this at wako. but the boardwalk is wider at green cay and there shouldnt be a problem.

Michael Pancier
02-01-2010, 06:54 PM
well what I do when I see folks like this is I take their photos and make them look uglier than they are (a good topaz setting will do this) and post it all over the net. I know it won't cure the problem, but it makes me feel better.

Harold Davis
02-01-2010, 07:05 PM
hey michael, seriously, can you use the photo as evidence?

well what I do when I see folks like this is I take their photos and make them look uglier than they are (a good topaz setting will do this) and post it all over the net. I know it won't cure the problem, but it makes me feel better.

Don Hamilton Jr.
02-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Great idea Mike, sounds like the police can have something to go on, as these bums depart the area right after they cause a problem.
Don

Mark Fuge
02-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Just an added warning. I had a similar situation in Detroit park a few years ago, except that the photogs were put to blame for being there by the park ranger. We weren't threatened by any walkers, but told to leave the boardwalk by the ranger. I don't know the historic happenings that caused the blame to be automatic on the photogs, but it can happen here as well.

I am not familiar with Green Cay, but recommend we keep the size of the group small and leave room for the non photogs to go around you. Don't park in a tight circle. Even if the boardwalk appears to be wide, apparently other photogs may not have been so courteous in the past, or the "non photogs" are just a bunch of thuds (young and old).

Michael's idea of a photo ID for distribution to the park manager and police sounds like a good one. Afterall, we have the digital information.

But whatever be safe and courteous, or we will become the prosecuted ones.

Grady Weed
02-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Well said Mark.

Michael Pancier
02-02-2010, 01:46 PM
hey michael, seriously, can you use the photo as evidence?

absolutely you can.

Rocky Sharwell
02-04-2010, 03:21 PM
I think a flip video camera which is small cheap and works well might also be a good tool to have....

Alfred Forns
02-04-2010, 05:39 PM
... lots of the new Dslr have video Takes a second to start !!