Canon EOS REBEL XT
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @ 400
Manual mode
1/500"
F10
ISO: 200
Canon 430EX: On, Fired
LR & CS3

Again I'm not thrilled with the excessive catchlights on the eyes but in this image it doesn't look too bad, IMO. I didn't have enough canvas to go with a vertical crop which probably would have looked better.

I shortened the tip of the blade of grass a bit.

Julie Kenward
01-31-2010, 07:39 PM
Ken, you've got another beauty here! The df looks really good - the only place I see a lack of sharpness is in the very end segment of the trail and the very top of the wings. You've got great sharpness in the face, eyes, body, legs, etc...and that's plenty to hold my interest. If you were creating this image for a magazine or print I probably would add another f/stop or two to get those other areas in focus as well.

The main flaw with this image (and I hate to even call it that) is the muddiness of the BG. I don't mind the vertical stripes running throughout it - it's the color and tone that I don't really like. It leaves me feeling flat about the image and the df is definitely NOT flat. I tried a few things to up the color/contrast/tone and everything seemed to make it look fake or worse so I don't know what to tell you here. Maybe someone else has an idea?

I did do a recrop just to see what it would look like. I clipped some off the sides in order to get the face area closer to the ROT's position. It still gives him plenty of room ahead of him but I think it makes for a little stronger composition. I also cleaned up the URC - the part that stayed in the frame so it was the same color/tone as the rest of that "stripe." See what you think...

Ed Cordes
01-31-2010, 09:31 PM
Re post is better due to the minimizing of the BG stripes right side. I like the detail in the face. Getting one without highlights around the eyes is hard unless there is no direct light at all. Of course, it then becomes harder to get DOF and sharpness. Over all very nice presentation.

Ken Childs
02-01-2010, 10:26 AM
The tighter crop definitely looks better.

Allen Sparks
02-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Another beautiful image Ken and I like the repost too. Nice sharpness and detail where it counts the most. Cleaning up the background helped a good bit in the repost.

Mike Moats
02-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Hey Ken, really nice sharp details and like the BG other then the dark area in the upper right corner which Jules took care of in the repost.:)

Anita Bower
02-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Another gorgeous insect! Nice sharpenss of head, torse, wings (except tip as Jules mentions)--drew me right in. Great light and colors and blurred BG. I like Jules' repost. Well done.