1D Mark 111
Canon 600 F4 IS + 1.4X
F5.6 at 1/640
ISO 500
Eposure Mode - Auto
Exposure Comp. -0.33
Weather - Overcast
Date - 8/4/2009 Time - 9:47 am

I was out in my blind early one morning, the Hooded Mergansers were back, and she was laying eggs in the Wood Duck nest box. Not knowing when they arrive I have to get in the blind before first light. It was around 9:30am and they had not arrived yet. I was getting anxious because the overcast lighting was becomming ideal for photographing Hooded Mergansers. Right about then, I heard the lightening quick approach of a hoodie and then there he was, right out in front of my blind. He was there for about a hour and did all kinds of wonderful coutship behavior, for me I guess,[smile] as there was no female Hoodie around. All I had to do to get this image was purchase 10 acres of property, have a large pond dug[approx. 150 X 80 feet], put up a Wood Duck box, wait several years and get a Hooded Merganser nesting, not a Wood Duck, but not a bad trade off eh! [smile]
Ted

Randy Stout
01-31-2010, 04:43 PM
Ted:

Very nicely captured, with excellent exposure, sharp,nice reflection, fun story.

I have suggested a similar strategy to my wife (make my own pond). Still working on it at this point.:D

Even with the overcast light, it shows how tough this bird is to expose. I feel your whites are excellent, but the blacks on the neck are blocked a bit.

Look forward to many more, perhaps even a wood duck! :)

Randy

Adams Serra
01-31-2010, 04:43 PM
Beautiful bird, water colors and reflection. Looks like you got a good return on your investment:).

Danny J Brown
01-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Hi Ted - Beautiful shot of a gorgeous critter. The reflection is as good as it gets and the overall feel to the photo is real dreamy from the bokeh and foreground. I really love this one. I was out shooting common mergansers this morning on the Mississippi River so it was good to see this guy when I got back.

Ted Willcox
01-31-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks you all, for the comments and observations, they are very much appreciated.
Ted

DanWalters
01-31-2010, 06:49 PM
Nice colors in the water and I like the reflection.

Arthur Morris
01-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Love the bird and the water and the COMP. The magenta cast to the BLACKS bugged me. So did the yellowish stains near the waterline near the breast. So I got rid of both.....

Michael Zajac
01-31-2010, 08:19 PM
Nice looking water,BG and Merganser. Artie's repost is great.

Ed Cordes
01-31-2010, 09:51 PM
As was mentioned, hard to get the deep blacks and bright whites well exposed. You did an excellent job. I love the eye.

Markus Jais
02-01-2010, 03:37 AM
Wonderful shot. I like the calm water and the reflection. Great composition and very good exposure.

Markus

niranjan sant
02-01-2010, 08:23 AM
what a bird and his crown,beautiful light and reflection.

Ted Willcox
02-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks all for your comments. Thanks for the repost Artie, I like yours better. I believe I lost some colour on conversion. I noticed it when it was already posted. Good job on the blacks and getting rid of the yellow stain. It's neat to have other eyes [other then your own ] looking over your images, there is always something that can improve your image.
Thanks again.
Ted

Arthur Morris
02-01-2010, 06:26 PM
You are welcome Ted. I learn a ton every time that I post. :)