PDA

View Full Version : San Diego #3

Arthur Morris
01-31-2010, 03:31 PM
With the gate having been unlocked for many months it was amazing how tame most of the pelicans at LaJolla were this year. This image was created with the 70-200mm f/4L IS lens with the 1.4X II TC (handheld at 208mm) and the EOS-7D. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop: 1/1250 sec. at f/8.

This image was created while I was lying downhill and prone. I selected an upper right sensor and remember straining to be able to see the active sensor but being unable to do so no matter how hard I tried (that because my body was slanted downwards and I was trying to look up hard and right....)

I continue to receive inquiries as to the quality and sharpness of 7D images but have zero concerns in those areas as you can see here.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Markus Jais
01-31-2010, 04:19 PM
I like the tight composition. The colors of the bird go well with the blue water.
Nothing not to like here. Makes me want to go to CA to get shots of those birds.

About the 7D sharpness: So far I am very satisfied. I did flight shots today and overall I think the AF is way better than the AF of the 40D.
Sharpness in test shots with One-Shot AF and a 4/500 (of course in tripod) is very good. Of course, it will need sharpening in Lightroom or/and PS.
BTW, I highly recommend the book about sharpening from Jeff Schewe/Bruce Fracer.

Markus

Deborah Hanson
01-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Obvious statement - I am not experienced enough to critique your photography. So, hopefully, I will ask questions as to your choices so that I might learn. Is that acceptable in this forum?
I will start with - beautiful detail in the blacks and whites/creams.
Am I drawn to the photograph? yes.
Questions-
Did you take the photo at a low angle to reduce shadows or does that create them? Or is it just another way of getting a better angle of the bird.
How did you decide on the crop? The large wing in the front almost acts as a barrier to the rest of the photo but the eye/face and bill draw you to the rest of the photo.

Thanks in advance.
Deb

Danny J Brown
01-31-2010, 05:03 PM
Hey Artie - The colors on these guys always remind me of a painting - a tad subtle but very gorgeous. The huge bill cuts diagonally right across your frame and I like that too, being the symmetry nut that I am. We only have white pelicans here in Missouri. They never dive out of the sky - they just swim around scooping up the biggest fish they can get in their net. I'm always out on the Mississippi, observing and photographing them, kind of like the Jane Goodall of white pelicans. Take care.

Arthur Morris
01-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Hi Deb,

re:

I am not experienced enough to critique your photography.

Disagree. Surely you can tell me what you like and/or what you do not like (and why...):)

So, hopefully, I will ask questions as to your choices so that I might learn. Is that acceptable in this forum?

Surely.

I will start with - beautiful detail in the blacks and whites/creams. Am I drawn to the photograph? yes.

The above is a good start to a critique :)

Questions-
Did you take the photo at a low angle to reduce shadows or does that create them? Or is it just another way of getting a better angle of the bird.

None of the above. We are on a cliff well above the Pacific. I could have created quite a similar image standing but this year the water closer to shore had big patches of brown scuzz on the surface. Getting lower helped in two ways: 1-eliminating the brown scuzz--always a good move! 2-the background in the image, aka the Pacific Ocean, had less detail (waves, chop, etc.) in it than it would have had I been standing because the ocean was farther away.... That is a general rule: the farther away you can effectively "place" the BKGR the softer and more o-o-f it will be.

How did you decide on the crop?

I framed carefully to eliminate all of the rock that the bird was resting on. For this one I wanted all rock, no bird. Purity.

The large wing in the front almost acts as a barrier to the rest of the photo but the eye/face and bill draw you to the rest of the photo.

I chose this subject because of the uncommon posture. As Danny says below, the diagonal strengthens the image.

Thanks for the great questions. Hopefully the boys and girls will learn a lot. Let me know if there is anything unclear.

Danny; do you get them in breeding plumage?

Arthur Morris
01-31-2010, 05:27 PM
More for Deb, This image shows twp problems that I had when standing:
1-the yellow rock in the llc
2-there are more breaking waves closer to shore that will show up in your image...

Danny J Brown
01-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Yes Artie - They start growing an antler in the spring. Attached is an example (super cropped)!

DanWalters
01-31-2010, 06:51 PM
Very sharp image. I like the tight crop and the colors of the pelican. Like the blue background as well.

denise ippolito
01-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Artie, Beautiful sharp details and I love the comp. The color of the water in the BG really compliments the Pelican.:)

Michael Zajac
01-31-2010, 08:20 PM
I like the pose and the sharp details. Beautiful clear eye.

Keith Bauer
01-31-2010, 09:06 PM
I really enjoy this image. Background really enhances the image. I like the low angle and the pose of the pelican.

arash_hazeghi
01-31-2010, 11:13 PM
looks like a giant ship! nice comp and details, colors are beautiful.

Stu Bowie
02-01-2010, 12:20 AM
A well thoughout comp. I like the light, detail and colours, and this is certainly sharp. Well captured Artie.

Kiran Poonacha
02-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Beautiful one Guru, nice compo and colours. The BG adds well.