PDA

View Full Version : Grebe at last golden light

Wayne Nicholas
02-21-2008, 08:59 AM
I shot this while testing out the 40D. The sun lit the water up like liquid gold and this little guy just begged for a photo.

Canon 40D; 500mm f/4 L; Wimberley II and ground plate
ISO 200
Aperture Priority -2/3 for 1/160 @ f/5.6
Available light

Lance Warley
02-21-2008, 09:06 AM
This my first BPN viewing of the day, and what a way to start. I love the pose, the low angle, and the feel of the feathers...the feel of not being quite ready to wake up yet (like me, I guess...ok so now I'm freaking out a little...am I looking at myself? Lance, get a grip).

I am far from a CS3 expert, but I wonder if you could do more to bring out the colors in the water and in the bird. If the photo represents what you saw, then forget this comment.

Thanks, Wayne.

Manos Papadomanolakis
02-21-2008, 10:56 AM
I really like the composition and low angle!

Wayne Nicholas
02-21-2008, 11:15 AM
This my first BPN viewing of the day, and what a way to start. I love the pose, the low angle, and the feel of the feathers...the feel of not being quite ready to wake up yet (like me, I guess...ok so now I'm freaking out a little...am I looking at myself? Lance, get a grip).

I am far from a CS3 expert, but I wonder if you could do more to bring out the colors in the water and in the bird. If the photo represents what you saw, then forget this comment.

Thanks, Wayne.

Thanks for the comment, Lance. I actually try to process each shot to be representative of what I saw or what I envisioned. This is very close to what my mind saw that evening. It was the warm fuzzy look of the scene that beckoned me to capture it. That last glow of fading sunlight is what I wanted. :)

Robert Amoruso
02-21-2008, 01:19 PM
I like this a lot Wayne. A very serene image. It looks like the head is turned a bit away but in this case, that would not bother me. It suits the image's peaceful setting of the grebe floating about.

Fabs Forns
02-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Great welcome, Wayne, so happy to see you here :)

Sweet capture, low angle and sweet light and those wet feathers and the icing. Great first post!

Axel Hildebrandt
02-21-2008, 06:22 PM
I like this a lot. Great pose, angle and light. There is a very slight sharpening halo around the bill.

Jody Melanson
02-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Great low angle on this little fella. I like the eye contact and the golden water. If it were mine, I would saturate a bit, but I like 'em more saturated. I would also rotate CCW slightly.