PDA

View Full Version : Surf Scoter

Axel Hildebrandt
01-31-2010, 07:57 AM
I made this image on a day when the waves were quite high and I got quite wet. :) Even the sea ducks had to be careful that they wouldn't get smashed into the jetty.

http://www.pbase.com/axelhi/image/121532677/original.jpg

1D4, 500f4, 1.4x, 1/640s, f/8, EC -0.33, ISO 400

Sabyasachi Patra
01-31-2010, 08:27 AM
The waves look like mountains. :D It nicely sums up the scene.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Stu Bowie
01-31-2010, 09:54 AM
I like the comp, and like how the scoter is framed between the swells. Lovely clear water to see him through the water too.

Phil Ertel
01-31-2010, 09:54 AM
Hi Axel, I like how you captured the scoter at the peak of the wave. I love the view of the colors of the feet through the water. The darker background water and the lighter wave in the foreground gives me a sense of depth to the image. Thanks for sharing.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
01-31-2010, 10:01 AM
Love the capture angle, the details in the back, the position of the bird with regard to the wave, and how we can see part of the body and legs through the wave. Thanks for sharing this.

Arthur Morris
01-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Axel, I always love how you make each posted image something special. With the bird at the top of the wave and our view of the pink feet, this one qualifies!

Deborah Hanson
02-01-2010, 10:02 AM
I am curious how you were able to capture this photo. It is really amazing how the bird is captured above and below the surface. The photo gives the viewer a feeling of movement - the bird pushing through the water. Also, the crop creates movement as well as the water seems to flow from the one side to the other.
Nice.

Deb

Axel Hildebrandt
02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
I am curious how you were able to capture this photo. It is really amazing how the bird is captured above and below the surface. The photo gives the viewer a feeling of movement - the bird pushing through the water. Also, the crop creates movement as well as the water seems to flow from the one side to the other.
Nice.

Deb

Thanks, Deb! I kept an eye on both bird and wave and tried to photograph the duck when it was at the top of the wave. I used AI Servo and a short burst of 2-3 frames.

Ramon M. Casares
02-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Just stunning! The moment captured, the species, light and detail are simply superb. Congratulations!