PDA

View Full Version : Black & Orange LongWing Butterfly

Charles Wesley
01-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Went with a more artistic interpretation on this butterfly. Hope it's not too artsy. Have been using Nik software more to help me decide visually where to take my images. Just searching for different looks. I don't always want the same style. Searching for a dreamy mood or feel on this particular photo. Usually like a straight look for lack of a better word. Had to go with a centered image.

Canon EOS- 1D, Sigma 180 mm APO HSM f/3.5 macro and Bogen tripod. My exposure was 1/200 sec @ f/ 13.0 ISO 400. Used my Canon 550 flash on MP. Key West Butterfly Museum was dark due to cloud cover.

DPP 3.6
PS/CS4
Color Efex Pro 3.0
Classic SF

Julie Kenward
01-31-2010, 09:56 AM
Charlie, I like the deep mood you've created here. I wonder what it would look like if you masked off the butterfly so the original details came back through? I like that the foliage is deep and soft but the butterfly almost feels like I'm viewing it underwater.

I like the diagonal tilt to the wings and the reds are nicely saturated without looking overdone. Beautiful image overall.

denise ippolito
01-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Charles, I love the dreamy look and the beautiful colors. This almost looks like an Orton effect. Nicely done.

Charles Wesley
01-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Jules,

Thanks for the comments and placing it in this forum. Denise I need to study the Orton effect. Was going for a certain look...

Christopher Miller
01-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Nice effect and mood, Charles. It does resemble the Orton effect a lot. I like how the red and white areas on the butterfly jump out from the black. Well done.

Mark Fuge
01-31-2010, 12:24 PM
Nice image and application, Charles.

Like the feel and the color saturation of the butterfly and leaves.

Mike Moats
02-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Hey Charlie, like the moody lighting. Good details.:)