PDA

View Full Version : Best spots in central Florida

WilliamSnyder
01-30-2010, 11:33 AM
I will be visiting Okeechobee area in early March and am looking for a few spots to photograph. Ideally I would like to find some local places that are not more than an hours drive but I am open to other areas. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

William Snyder

Judd Patterson
01-31-2010, 05:27 PM
William, I think you will love Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park. Okeechobee is the nearest town, although you are still looking at maybe a 45 minute drive. It's a wonderful spot to camp. You will find lots of wildlife along the main road and the hiking trails. Look for Northern Bobwhite, Eastern Meadowlark, Wild Turkey, Crested Caracara, deer, wild boar, Loggerhead Shrike, snakes, and more.

Larry Frogge
02-22-2010, 02:08 PM
William,
Not sure what you are looking for. Joe Overstreet is within the hour drive for you. Across 78 Hwy. from Okeetantee is a boat ramp that always has gulls. Also, as you turn into the boat ramp area on west side of 78 (can't remember what it is called at the moment), you can drive along the dike and off to your right they clean fish at the trailer park and always birds around there. On down the dike there is a huge crowd of Wood Storks, pelicans, Blue Herons, Egrets (Whites & Snowys), vultures, etc. Also, watch along the small canal in the morning as there is usually a gator or 2 out sunning. It's one of my favorite "shoot from the car spot". Also, have it all to yourself!!
I went to a great county park (St. Lucie Cty) on 70 hwy. today called Bluefield Ranch Natural Area. Shoot hogs, deer, Pileated Woodpeckers, Eastern Towees, Bluebirds, plus a bunch of small birds that I don't have a clue what they are!! You leave Okeechobee going east on 70 Hwy. and turn right on Bluefield road (there is a sign). Follow it to the end. Opens at daylight, closes at dark. Another place you will probably have to yourself!!
Hope this helps and is in time for you.
Larry <><

WilliamSnyder
02-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Appreciate the info. It will definitely come in handy.

William