PDA

View Full Version : Rose Periwinkle

Indranil Sircar
01-29-2010, 11:57 PM
Botanical name is Catharanthus roseus. I had taken this image early in the morning. I used a Canon G11 in Macro mode. The settings were 1/500 sec, f/2.8, Mode: Av, Metering: Evaluative ISO: 100 Subject dist: 0.120m. Cropped, adjusted levels and applied usm. All C&C will be appreciated.

Mike Moats
01-30-2010, 06:06 AM
Hey Indranil, I like the comp, and good job on the exposure on the white. The dew adds a nice touch. My only suggestion is to clone ot the tiny yellow spots on the leaves on the BG. Well Done.

Julie Kenward
01-30-2010, 10:29 AM
I find the image to be overly dark. I'd crop off the entire bottom below the petals because there isn't enough detail there to really add to the image IMO. I do like the dew drops - they are nicely in focus - but the overall darkness of the image feels too stark to me. I'd suggest a shadow/highlights adjustment. Did you use flash here? It sure looks like it (but you didn't mention it in your stats...) If you did, I think a diffuser would have helped. If not, I definitel would have waited for more natural light.

Indranil Sircar
01-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Mike, Julie, thank you very much for the feedback. Appreciate a lot.

Hi Julie, here is another repost with a bit of recovered background. This was taken in natural sunlight in the morning without a flash. I have also removed some of the yellow spots that Mike suggested...

Julie Kenward
01-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Indranil, I do like that better.

Anita Bower
01-30-2010, 06:41 PM
I like the white and pink of the flower and the dew drops. Very nice! I understand what Jules was saying about brightening it up a bit, but I believe I prefer the first version as the darkness eliminates some of the distracting background. I secon'd Mike's suggestion to tone down (darken) the yellows in the background. Thanks for sharing. :)