PDA

View Full Version : Ibis

wendell westfall
01-29-2010, 11:26 PM
D70s 70-200VR+2X@400 1/1000 f/5.6 ISO400 -1/3EV handheld

Yesterday morning I found this bird. I think it is a White-faced Ibis in winter plumage, but I am not sure. I could use some ID help. Since it was looking at me with its head turned, I figured a more central placement was OK. I'm curious what you think of the square crop (about 25% removed). If needed I could expand the image on three sides, but not on the bottom. I ran NR on the background three times with PS Elements. I ran S/H, Contrast and USM on the Ibis. And I cloned out a couple small twigs in the water. Comments, please.

Wendell

Lance Peters
01-30-2010, 05:12 AM
Hi Wendell - square crop is ok in my books - techs look solid. I might desat the blues a tad - although I have to admit I am on a unbalanced monitor at present.
Would clone out the 1 remaining stick in the water and add dome NR on the background.
Just a tad tight at the bottom for my own personal tastes.
Keep em coming :)

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
01-30-2010, 06:27 AM
I might try to go for a little more vertical crop, but this is alright as it is. Love the pose and the HA. Glad that the OOF foreground grass did not intersect the bird, but I might consider removing them out and see what happen.

Alfred Forns
01-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Hi Wendell Just check out the bird in my book and does seem to be correct. Looks very much like a glossy except for the lets and eye coloration.

... just picked up one bit of info that will be useful for you !!!!!! You are using elements which works very well and can do just about anything you want but it only works in 8 bit !! There is a quality difference between the two !!! Might want to try processing one in your system and then on PS4 !!!

Good pose and lots of color, sun hit the bird just right !!! Would be tempted to get out my weed eater tool and go work on the grass :)

wendell westfall
01-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Lance: "NR on the background" . . . I have trouble with NR and, as I said, ran it three times (at maximum setting, I think) in Elements. Maybe I should try something for NR other than Elements . . . and maybe Alfred's point about 8-bit vs. 16-bit is the culprit . . . we'll see . . .

Thanaboon: I'll work on the foreground grass.

Alfred: I'll give the 16-bit approach a try.

Jackie Schuknecht
01-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Nice pose and HA Wendell, just seeing a halo of some kind around the bird???

Bill Dix
01-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Hi Wendell - like the pose, and the position in the frame is OK with me, although a bit more on the bottom wouldn't hurt. I'm not shy about cloning out distracting elements, so I agree about the weed-whacker. I looked at Sibley and don't see an exact match, but I'm guessing this is a 1st winter Glossy Ibis. Interesting to see what others say.

Gus Cobos
02-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Very nice Wendell,
I like the capture and pose...agree with the techs. and good advice given...keep them coming...:cool: