PDA

View Full Version : Crafting the Cello

kevinmat
01-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Something a little different.

This image was created using incense smoke. For those interested the technique involves shooting a flash (using a snoot to narrow the spread of light) through the smoke in a completely darkened room. The image is then reversed in photoshop to achieve the black on white image presented.

Though patience is required some great images can be produced. This image puts me very much in mind of the neck of a cello.

The setup used a Canon 5D Mk II with a 100mm F/2.8 Macro lens - ISO 50 at 1/200 sec F/7.1

denise ippolito
01-30-2010, 12:41 AM
Kevin, I love the B&W look to this. The curlicue at the top is perfect! Beautiful lines and diagonal comp. I'd hang this on my wall in a second:) I like how it fades away at the bottom.

Julie Kenward
01-30-2010, 09:47 AM
You are really getting me pumped about these smoke images! This one does resemble a cello head and I bet there's more than a few cello players out there that would want to own this! Beautiful conversion and you get my full applause for the final effect created.

Cheryl Slechta
01-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Kevin, I thought it was a cello head! This is really well done. I agree with Denise about the fading at the bottom - it really completes the image.:)

Jackie Schuknecht
01-30-2010, 07:21 PM
I thought you had Photshopped the curve at the top. Really cool effect. Love this one.

kevinmat
01-30-2010, 09:43 PM
So you can see how this works here is the original image. At the foot of the image you can see the tips of the two incense stick providing the smoke. Just set them in a vase or similar - best to use something soft in the base to get them to stand upright. Two to three is usually best keep them close together though not touching for best effect.

The flash and snoot (you can make a simple snoot by using a tube attached to the head of the flash or even some rolled up stiff card) are set at a 45 degree angle to the smoke ( e.g. camera front head on, flash set to left or right at 45 degree angle to the camera shooting through the smoke). Warm currents from the incense sticks in the air will make the smoke curl - though the air should be otherwise quite still around you (turn air-con/heating fans off)

Once you have your image, reverse it then convert to B/W (you can also use color filters etc if you would like) and boost the levels to taste. A little dodging of the smoke here and there to clean up the image. That's it.

denise ippolito
01-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Kevin, Thank you for sharing your technique. This is awesome!