PDA

View Full Version : Another Rare Bird: Dovekie

Axel Hildebrandt
01-29-2010, 11:55 AM
It's been only the second time in 4 years that I have seen a Dovekie at a very short distance. I made this at Long Island yesterday where several have been sighted, most of them in bad shape. This little guy was actively feeding and I hope he is going to make it. The light angle was not ideal but I thought I would share it anyway.

http://www.pbase.com/axelhi/image/121482883/original.jpg

1D4, 500f4, 1.4x, 1/1000s, f/8, ISO 400

Doug Brown
01-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Is that the same bird as your avatar? Like the low angle, the fine ripples in the water, sharpness and exposure. Pano crop works well.

Ilija Dukovski
01-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Oh, good for you. These birds when sighted usually are very close to the shore.
I've seen ONE so far. The image IMO is excellent with great detail and perfect eye-contact.
Up close it is a really cute bird. TFS

Axel Hildebrandt
01-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Is that the same bird as your avatar? Like the low angle, the fine ripples in the water, sharpness and exposure. Pano crop works well.

Thanks, Doug! Yes, it is the same species. The one in my avatar is a Dovekie that I photographed on Cape Cod in 2006.

Deborah Hanson
01-29-2010, 12:56 PM
I like that the photograph gives the impression that there is an interaction between the viewer and the bird. If I explained that correctly, can't tell if it's the bird's expression (it seems to have one) or eye contact. Nice, just the same.
Also, I like the water ripples and reflection in front of the bird. The whites have really nice detail.

Question: would the crop work if the bird was a little lower or a little higher - just off center? I usually have difficulty placing birds in the water.

Deb

Axel Hildebrandt
01-29-2010, 01:02 PM
I like that the photograph gives the impression that there is an interaction between the viewer and the bird. If I explained that correctly, can't tell if it's the bird's expression (it seems to have one) or eye contact. Nice, just the same.
Also, I like the water ripples and reflection in front of the bird. The whites have really nice detail.

Question: would the crop work if the bird was a little lower or a little higher - just off center? I usually have difficulty placing birds in the water.

Deb

Thanks, Deb! I think it would also work if the bird were a tad lower in the frame. I cropped it this way to give the bird room to swim into.

Jim Fenton
01-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Perfect DOF, exposure and sharpness Axel and I really enjoy the low angle.

I might lighten the dark area just in front of the eye just a bit?

Nancy A Elwood
01-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Axel you have really been lucky getting your opportunities with this species. The water is nice and clean and blue to show it off. Congrats!!

Arthur Morris
01-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Amazing. Never seen one. Where were they and what was the situation? Obviously, you did quite well. If I ever seen one of these it will likely be in Norway.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Amazing. Never seen one. Where were they and what was the situation? Obviously, you did quite well. If I ever seen one of these it will likely be in Norway.

Thanks, Artie! It was in Great River in a little marina and is not skittish at all.

LouBuonomo
01-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Nice Alex our local paper had an article on the today.. I think they said they have had to rescue 8 on LI (not including this guy) and 6 have passed

Arthur Morris
01-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks, Artie! It was in Great River in a little marina and is not skittish at all.

Totally amazing. I am thinking that an there will be an Emperor Goose or two in your viewfinder soon!

john jackson
01-30-2010, 11:17 AM
An image that really captures the cute character of the species. You caught the fur-like texture of the plumage nicely. It may be my monitor, but it looks like you rescued the whites a little too much; this is typically a very black and white bird.

We get Little Auks (as we call them) here in late autumn/winter when the conditions farther north are difficult for them. Many of the harbourside individual meet a swift end. There terrific (albeit horrific) images on the Birdguides website birds being swallowed whole by Greater Black-backed Gulls (http://www.birdguides.com/bne/details.asp?t=363431).