PDA

View Full Version : Dewy Pink Rose

Charles Wesley
01-29-2010, 06:57 AM
Found this rose during the fall. It's a little tattered but something about it drew my eyes. Not sure what. Maybe the dew.

Canon EOS- 1D, EX 100- 400 mm f/4.5- 5.6 IS zoom and tripod.

PS/CS4
Neat Image

Anita Bower
01-29-2010, 08:09 AM
Maybe the beautiful varying shades of pink also drew you to it. I like the angle of view you chose as it shows the lovely center petals to good advantage. I also like the sharpness on some of those center petals, especially along the edges.

Part of me wants a bit more sharpness throughtout the rose, but I know that would create a distracting BG. At first, I found the lightness of the thorns a bit distracting.

Thanks for sharing.:)

Charles Wesley
01-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Anita,

Here's some more selective sharpening on the rose. Thanks for the critique. Let me know what you think..

Anita Bower
01-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Charles: I want to read what others have to say, but it may be oversharpened now. I don't think sharpening will help with the further petals being a bit soft. I should have used a term other than "sharpness." What I mean was more in focus. I still like it. :)

Julie Kenward
01-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Charlie, it's a lovely image. I do think the second one is oversharpened...you might try "sharpen edges" and see what that does to it. Another option would be a high filter pass and then take it down in opacity or with a brush/mask.

What I love about this is the angle as well. I also think the thorns are a little distracting as they are so light - might try giving them a bit more brown color if that's possible or just lower the midtone range a bit on them.

Another thing I love is the dew but I didn't realize it WAS dew until I read your post. I just thought it looked like it had a sprinkling of sparlkes - like someone had dusted it with baker's sugar.

Mike Moats
01-30-2010, 06:34 AM
Hey Charles, I think the sharpness in the original looks fine. I like the soft focus on the stem and thorns. Good placement of the flower head. Good color contrast.

Vida van der Walt
01-30-2010, 10:13 AM
Hi Charles. I agree with Mike and also think the sharpness in the original is fine. This is a lovely image and I also like the angle, colours and soft light.:)