PDA

View Full Version : Stashing the baby

Callie de Wet
01-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Saw her around 08h00 for maybe 2 minutes as she carried the cub to a new hiding place. We think its eyes were still closed. She was walking fast and purposefully, never once stopping or turning her head. At this location, the dunes end in in a sandstone type cliff. She was walking along this face and then up and over the dune. A magic moment to see. Some cropping all round, as this was shot with the 600 F/4 + 1.4 TC from a beanbag on the window.
D300S; F/7.1; 1/4000; ISO 800; -0.3 EV

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-28-2010, 03:53 PM
This is a great image for the cute factor alone. I am so envious (in a nice way) that you got to see my favorite cat. :) Like the presentation.

Steve Canuel
01-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Always nice to see animals going about their lives. A nice behavioral capture. I'm sure she didn't give you much time as she had other priorities. I played around a bit with your image to see about toning down the bright, contrasty BG. I recall seeing that you preferred darker images so I kept that in mind. Did a little darkening, contrast reduction, and blurring to see if it provided a little more separation for the leopard. Maybe too much PP for your taste, I'll remove if you wish.

Alfred Forns
01-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Nothing like being in the right place at the right time !!!!

I like the selected crop showing some of the environment, fur reproduction looks great !! I think you made the best possible from your location !!!

Harshad Barve
01-28-2010, 08:37 PM
I am with Alfred here , You are so lucky to see this
TFS

Marc Mol
01-29-2010, 12:02 AM
All nits aside, I'd forfeit my left (you know what) to have a chance sighting like this.:D
So a VWD to you Callie. (Like Steve's repost as well.)
TFS

Callie de Wet
01-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate you dropping by and leaving comments.
Hi Steve
Thanks you did a splendid job. I still struggle to get my eyes and mind over a sharpened image, as I never did it before joining here. The re-post looks great.
Hi Marc
Yes, that proverbial, if you know how many times I would have ventured same to just see some sight seen by others . . . I guess that is why we always go back . . .for that once in a lifetime experience. We have seen around 40 wild leopards so far on our trips to the bush, not a lot, but if you consider how secretive this cat is, then we are happy. But I will swap three leopard sightings for one of a Bobcat

Ken Watkins
01-29-2010, 01:36 AM
What a wonderful and extremely rare shot, Steve's repost is remarkable especially when undertaken on a small JPEG.

Sabyasachi Patra
01-29-2010, 03:58 AM
Marvellous. Rare sighting. You are blessed to have seen this.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Morkel Erasmus
01-29-2010, 04:33 AM
I really am flabbergasted at the sightings you had of her...makes me lick my lips for our trip in June when the cub will probably be 6 months old.

nice sighting you did well to get her to stand out against the sandstone...

Peter Buntman
01-29-2010, 06:32 AM
FANTASTIC SIGHTING, I have been lucky to see this once in all my time in the bush but didnt get a shot as nice as this, Thanks for sharing.

Todd Frost
01-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Great moment captured, one most of us can only dream of. You did well with the situation. Steve's re post looks good. Very well done. TFS
Todd

Declan Troy
01-30-2010, 01:48 PM
The face on the cub is priceless. A tighter crop (perhaps vertical) of the cub an front of mom might be a nice additional way to process this. Not a substitute though, I like the present image.

Ajit Huilgol
02-01-2010, 08:13 AM
What a blessed soul you are, Callie! Steve's work on your image is superbly done!

johan barnard
04-14-2010, 05:46 AM
Wow Callie lucky you, fantastic moment captured

we wre not so lucky to see the cubs yet, but we will keep trying