PDA

View Full Version : The Launch for Lunch

Michael Lloyd
01-27-2010, 09:55 PM
This is one of two adult Bald Eagles near Llano. TX. There are two chicks in the nest this year (3 last year). Shooting conditions were less than stellar but a little patience rewarded me with seeing all of the birds associated with this nest. This is the second adult leaving after it dropped off food. I got to see the "food cycle" 3 times total.

It's too bad that the light wasn't better.

1DMk4 manual
800mm f5.6 w/1.4x TC on a tripod

Approximately a 1/3 crop (Ie not much)

ISO 800

1/640s @ f8

Dave Leroy
01-27-2010, 11:52 PM
A nice enviromental shot and it gives a good indication of the nest size. It is probably not possible, but it would be interesting to see a clear shot of one of the adults returning. Dave

Michael Lloyd
01-28-2010, 12:23 AM
I might have one. Incoming is harder than outgoing. It's about like trying to shoot an inbound 747 with really good brakes :)

Justin Reznick
01-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Cool to see the environment but it does detract from the subject. Awesome you got to witness the cycle!

Duane Noblick
01-28-2010, 06:39 AM
As you said the light was less then ideal but this image shows how large their nest is compared to the Eagle taking off. Looks to be a well established nest and congratulations on being able to follow this pair as they add to the Eagle population.

A clear shot is one thing but being able to see them in their environment is another..don't get caught up in trying to capture one in the open...many aren't fortunate to follow Eagles that nest in open areas....I know I'm not. :)