PDA

View Full Version : Out of the fog

Fabs Forns
01-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Great Egret before sunrise at Anhinga Trail. I kept the EXP on the dark side because that's what it looked like then, even darker I'd say and if you looks at the settings, I couldn't squeeze more light out of the camera.
The noise of the underexp was dealt with Noiseware "night" settings. Natural fog was enhanced with Nik's graduated fog filter. If you have some amount of fog present, you can increase it using the conventional dodge tool in PS. Of course, for it to looks realistic, you have to have something to work from. This is nor about sharpness or feather detail, but about mood.

Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Lens (mm): 600
ISO: 2000
Aperture: 4
Shutter Speed: 1/80
Mode: Manual

Arthur Morris
01-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Love the feel and the mood but do not love the branch and the leaf immediately behind the bird. See you next week!

Joe Senzatimore
01-27-2010, 08:04 PM
And a great mood created. Nice work with the fog. i really love the comp. on this.

Harold Davis
01-27-2010, 08:19 PM
love the mood and the fog is great!!! a little more eye detail might work? not sure how that would affect the mood?

Jackie Schuknecht
01-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Love it as presented Fabs. Never even noticed the branch until it was mentioned, and I don't mind it. It is part of the habitat.

denise ippolito
01-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Fabs, The mood is beautiful and surreal. I like your comp. :)

Mike Tracy
01-27-2010, 08:40 PM
I really like the fog effect and think you have set the mood spot on. The pastels of the background are pretty but I think the one brighter spot above his head and to the left could be toned down a tad.

I agree with this type of image certain details can be overlooked. If this was tack sharp you would have in fact lost the mood you created. But I still don't think one ( not you) can throw the baby out with the bath water and overlook other details when creating image along these lines.

Although this looks fine for web presentation as is I don't think it would print well with the noise present particularly around his head. Since you were trying to create a soft mood you can probably run NR heavily on this and if anything it would set the mood even further.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-27-2010, 09:40 PM
I like the mood and composition and only find the area in the upper right a bit too dark.

Stephen Stephen
01-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Lovely mood/habitat image Fabs. Nice head angle too.

Mark Dumbleton
01-28-2010, 02:37 AM
I like the colour and mood here Fabs. Comp is good and like the colours.

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-28-2010, 05:06 AM
Fab-ulous mood my friend. :) I like what you did, if I had to pick on you, I'd say the really, really bright patch of light above the heron draws my eyes away. But I am not a fuss pot really. So overall I love the comp and mood you convey. :)

Raymond Barlow
01-28-2010, 08:02 AM
a beautiful image Fabs, the fog looks fantastic., very moody.

Myer Bornstein
01-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Oh! the mood is perfect I can sense being there great picture

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Loved the mood and the low angle makes it intimate. very beautiful and artsy.

Stu Bowie
01-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Fabs, you certainly captured the mood here, and I like the comp. Well captured.

Steve Maxson
01-28-2010, 10:58 AM
I like what you've done here Fabs - I'm a big fan of moody fog images. My one comment is that the texture (noise?) in the background just below the beak draws my eye and takes away from the soft dreamy mood. Maybe try some selective blurring in this area?

Ilija Dukovski
01-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Nice, I think this would make a great print.

Juan Aragonés
01-30-2010, 01:35 AM
Fabs you know how much I love this one. Love the ethereal and magical quality of the image. One of my favorites of your images :)