PDA

View Full Version : A Floating Landscape

Jay Gould
01-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Yes, I am probably pushing the boundaries of an acceptable landscape in this forum; however, this is a man made object in a natural world.

When I shot this image - 3 vertical images stitched in PS - I was actually thinking "landscape" in the broad sense. As soon as I saw we were finally going to have a great sunset and that the lines in the sky would work with my image thoughts, I rushed to the bow and positioned myself to have the hatch as my foreground element, the anchor chains as my leading lines to the midground superstructure, and the amazing sunset as the background. Would you believe that 26 nights at sea only resulted in one amazing sunset!

I have posted this here so that it would be critiqued; of course I might have posted it in the travel section but then it wouldn't be a learning experience for me; I might also have posted it in the ETL section.

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 04 Jan 10; 9:03pm
Light condition: mixed
Lens: 16-35 f/2.8
Focal length: 16mm
Extender: 0
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no;
ISO: 200
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1/60 sec
Aperture: f/2.8
Exp Comp: 0
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: AI Servo
Tripod: no
Filter: None
Crop: None

Processed in LR 3 (beta) and then CS4 - plus Topaz Suite and Pixel Genius Sharpening.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Dave Mills
01-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Well Jay, I'm sorry to have to tell you that I'm giving this a very limited critique...it's beautiful! Great sky,lighting and perspective. Glad to see you thinking about a foreground element and a leading line. I'm surprised you stitched 3 images but it apparantly worked. Nicely handled....

Jay Gould
01-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Hi Dave and thanks! The left and right images were to the edge of the superstructure and the middle image encompassed the whole structure so there was a good overlap for the stitch.

Roman Kurywczak
01-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Hey Jay,
Here the central placement works well as you offset the chain...so it doesn't seem too centered. Beautiful color and great job on the stitch and light....I really like the play of the lighter/warmer light to the cooler shade side! Very nicely done!

Morkel Erasmus
01-28-2010, 02:12 PM
agree with Roman's take about the light and colours. creative thinking here Jay!! looks like you're still on the move hehe

Grady Weed
01-28-2010, 04:46 PM
I would take this one as a image to hang in a heartbeat! Colors, chain, you said it all. I love the left to right look with the colors Jay. Excellent choice for a comp.

Marina Scarr
01-29-2010, 06:49 PM
I really like what you've done here, Jay, and all the thought you put into this capture.

Nick Palmieri
01-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Love this image. Great light, tack sharp, and gives you the feeling of being on the boat. The sttich seems to have worked perfect.

Aiden Blake
02-03-2010, 12:45 AM
My first thought is WOW! Amazing image!

I can see a stitch mark/line to the left of the white box, which also leads to the blown out highlights too. The horizon is slightly tilted, but I'm not sure if you did that on purpose to give the feeling that you're on a rocking boat or not. Curious either way.

Jay Gould
02-03-2010, 03:16 PM
My first thought is WOW! Amazing image!

I can see a stitch mark/line to the left of the white box, which also leads to the blown out highlights too. The horizon is slightly tilted, but I'm not sure if you did that on purpose to give the feeling that you're on a rocking boat or not. Curious either way.

Thanks for commenting and pointing out the not so obvious! You have now given me some homework!