PDA

View Full Version : Light in the dark

Vida van der Walt
01-27-2010, 08:31 AM
I love jumping spiders and find them very cute. I wish I had one the size of a little dog for a pet. This is the first time I've found one with what looks like stubble on the fangs. It was reaching for my lens with that front leg as I took the shot. The black bg is not by choice and was unavoidable but I think it somehow works in this shot. I am in two minds about removing the flash highlights and hair reflections from the eyes. A closer crop of this shot shows all the little hair detail on the face so much better but then leaves me with a square comp.:)
5D Mark11; MP E 65mm; MT 24EX
apert f11; ss1/200; iso 200
rotated slightly, cropped, levels, shrp, nr.

Allen Sparks
01-27-2010, 04:36 PM
wow Vida! this really spooked me when I first opened it up! great focus and detail on the face and that front leg feels like it is reaching out to grab me (I don't like spiders as much as you!). Another great image...the composition really works for me and I like the background too. I'm trying to find a nit but can't think of one right now...

Vida van der Walt
01-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Hi Allen. I'm glad you like it. Much appreciated.:)

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-28-2010, 01:35 AM
I love the details Vida. Simply incredible. Knowing the flash, I'd be OK to leave or remove and fake the highlights. BTW, a little-dog sized one's bite would hurt for sure. :D

I also have a huge affinity for these arachnids, though not sure how far a 100mm macro would take me to get the magnification without tubes. I may have some diopters I could screw onto the front element. What do you think?

Your macros are just insane mate, astounding. :) Thanks so much for posting them.

Stu Bowie
01-28-2010, 01:39 AM
Hi Vida, I like how the DOF focusses right into the face. Incredible detail, and I would leave the eyes as is. Very well captured.

Vida van der Walt
01-28-2010, 01:56 AM
Hi Akos and Stu. Thank you both for the great feedback.:) Akos, I unfortunately have no experience with a 100mm macro as I jumped straight in with a MP E. I did try a x1.4TC and x2TC on my lens once and believe me it is quite an experience trying to shoot.:) I often let the jumping spiders jump onto my hand and I've never been bitten. Just think what a cute, cuddly pet it will be. What I would feed it is another matter.;):D Stu, the hair reflections in the eyes are very nice when viewed full size and also with a closer crop.:)

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-28-2010, 05:40 AM
Vida, I am sure little ones don't bite. I am not sure I'd like them at puppy dog size though :D You could feed it your left foot for starters? :)

Julie Kenward
01-28-2010, 07:55 AM
I think they are cute, too...for spiders...but the thought of one being the size of my pug leaves me a bit frightened!

Lovely image, Vida. I would leave the highlights as they very much resemble catchlights and not abstract globs of blown spectral highlights. The "stubble" is incredible and the leg coming at the lens...a very nice touch! I think the comp works well with him in the ULC and that leg dangling to the LRC.

Jerry van Dijk
01-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi Vida, nice comp and excellent execution as always. I'm not too sure wheter I like all the OOF action going on. My first thought was to make a much closer crop, but decided I like it better the way it is. Another vote for leaving the highlights, the give a sense of depth or 3D to the eyes and also pronounce their different texture. I also vote for puppy sized jumping spiders, but share Akos' worries. I had one of these fellows attack a dragonfly I was photographing, which was about 40 times bigger than the spider itself .....

Vida van der Walt
01-29-2010, 01:20 AM
Hi Jules and Jerry. Thanks for the great feedback.:) Jerry, I posted a cropped version for comparison. It must have been something to see that spider catch the dragonfly! Akos, maybe I should reconsider my wish.;):D

Jerry van Dijk
01-29-2010, 03:44 AM
Hi Vida, the dragonfly took off immediately and the spider fell off. It did scare the #*^&! out of both me and the dragonfly! I was so busy composing the shot that I didn't see it coming. When I got back home, I saw it approaching in the OOF BG of the dragonfly picks. I'll see if I can dig a nice shot up and post it later.

Vida van der Walt
01-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Do post it Jerry. It would be great to see.:)