PDA

View Full Version : More Flowers for My Wife

Ed Vatza
02-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Bought some more flowers for my wife and couldn't resist the urge to break out the macro rig and make some close-up images.

Used my XT and Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro with a 430 EX Flash w/ Sto-Fen Diffuser all tripod-mounted.

1.3 sec at f/22; ISO 400; -1 EV; Flash

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0802__065.jpg

Fabs Forns
02-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Lovely presentation, although a little over sharpened and contrasty for my tastes. I like the dramatic background and the water drops.

Robert O'Toole
02-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Good exposure and details. This an Iris right? In nature they are hard to find clean as the insects find them irresistible as a breakfast food.

This image would be better suited to a square or vert crop as the top and bottom are clipped. You should try it.

Robert

Maxis Gamez
02-20-2008, 10:42 PM
I think the composition does not work here. The flower is dead centered and cutting just the edges does not work for me... I do like the contrast against the BG.

Ed Vatza
02-21-2008, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the critique, Fabs. With the purple on black, I pushed the contrast and USM just a bit. Obviously it was to a point that I liked but you may be right, I might have gone slightly over edge. I'll be interested in seeing if others say the same.

Thank you, Robert. I'm always trying to learn and find the feedback essential. Yes, it is an iris. I don't have to worry about insects in the house... just five cats who view flowers as a delicacy! I did go back and try a crop. (The image as posted is uncropped.) I brought the sides in until they touched the petals and I do like it a little better. I may try a further crop tonight,

Maxis, Thanks for the feedback. I understand where you're coming from with the composition but I tried several different compositions with the flower closer, farther, moved off-center and didn't like any of them as much as the dead center image. There seemed to be something in the asymetrical nature of the iris that, in my eyes, made it look better centered.

Jim Poor
02-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Wow, this is stunning! Love the purple & yellow and the dark BG so much!

Bernie Kasper
02-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Might be a little over sharpened but still a wonderful piece of work, love the color of the iris !

Mike Moats
02-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Hey Ed, the comp on this one isn't working for me, but the flower really pops with sharpness and color.

Ed Vatza
02-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Jim, Bernie, Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. This seems to be one of those compositions that you either like or you don't and I've gotten several comments both ways.

What I can say, I think I may have said it below (at least I was thinking it), is that I tried several different compositions moving the flower around in the frame, getting closer, varying the color of the background and none of them appealed to me like this center of the frame/black background version.

Besides, at least my wife didn't complain about only fitting half the flower in (see my other thread above)! :p