PDA

View Full Version : Who am I?

Fabs Forns
01-26-2010, 07:00 PM
If you know the bird, not more detail necessary for ID, I think it's a very unique shape.
Anhinga Trail this week-end. Nik bi-color filter applied to the sky.

Date: 1/21/10
Time: 7:27:27 PM
Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Lens (mm): 600
ISO: 800
Aperture: 8
Shutter: 1/5000
Program: Manual

Don Lacy
01-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Hi Fabs, Love the the color and graphic element of the image, looks like a Green Heron to me.

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Hi Fab, I believe it is a black crowned night heron !!! Beautiful capture and superb lighting and color.

Ryan Schain
01-26-2010, 07:30 PM
I agree with Black-crowned Night Heron

Marc Mol
01-26-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm going for the BC night heron as well, lovely grad color in the sky.
TFS

LouBuonomo
01-26-2010, 07:33 PM
BCNH... Super colors !

Axel Hildebrandt
01-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Great BG colors, pose and silhouette. Definitely a heron, but I'm not entirely sure what kind. :)

Michael Zajac
01-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Fabs, Beautiful gradient BG and the silhouette is perfect to show off the form. I would go w/ BCNH also.

Steve Maxson
01-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Another vote for BCNH. A very nice flight pose and your PP has created another dramatic, eye-catching image.

Phil Ertel
01-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Hi Fabs, This is beautiful. The background colors are very pleasing and the pose is just right in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Nancy A Elwood
01-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Fabs I will give it a go. I think bittern, but not sure least or american.

Todd Frost
01-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Nice silhouette and use of filter for bg makes this another very artistic image. I do have a question re. the bg. Just how far can we go in this forum and not cross over to the manipulated forum? Don't get me wrong as I love the image and would not change a thing, just wondering as we have both forums on this site. Very well done. TFS
Todd

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Love the colors and silhouette. Some small heron species I say, but am not familiar with your species. Thanks for sharing.

Fabs Forns
01-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Nice silhouette and use of filter for bg makes this another very artistic image. I do have a question re. the bg. Just how far can we go in this forum and not cross over to the manipulated forum? Don't get me wrong as I love the image and would not change a thing, just wondering as we have both forums on this site. Very well done. TFS
Todd

Good question, Todd. I have been using bi-color filters for about two years, they are just a gradient tool lots of people use on the sky, or let's say a graduated neutral density.
I think adding a color filter or vignette is much milder than removing branches or other birds from the background.

I would not add "water color" or "poster edges" or any filter that would make it look like it should be on rice paper :)

I'm willing to hear the opinions of the other moderators and my partners.

Mike Fuhr
01-26-2010, 09:39 PM
My guess is a night heron...

Ed Vatza
01-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Okay, first of all, you are Fabs! ;)

Second, I'm going night heron, let's say black-crowned.

Third, I love the image but I am finding I am more of an OOTB kinda guy.

Fourth, I would have to say that by the letter of the law laid down here, this would be OOTB but that's just me. And if you followed the thread on what constitutes OOTB in the Macro/Flora forum, you will see that I am a staunch believer in letting the artist decide.

Fabs Forns
01-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Okay, first of all, you are Fabs! ;)

Second, I'm going night heron, let's say black-crowned.

Third, I love the image but I am finding I am more of an OOTB kinda guy.

Fourth, I would have to say that by the letter of the law laid down here, this would be OOTB but that's just me. And if you followed the thread on what constitutes OOTB in the Macro/Flora forum, you will see that I am a staunch believer in letting the artist decide.

What new law? Not aware of any...

Ed Vatza
01-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Well you're #4 so you should know if there was any change, Fabs. I think the take away from the discussion was that images in forums that did not appear as "natural" to the eye (and I am paraphrasing greatly) should go into OOTB. As I said, I believe the artist/photographer should decide where an image goes and I comfortable with it. Not looking to derail discussion of what is a wonderful image in part because of the filtering. By the way, the filtering was in PP, yes??

Fabs Forns
01-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks, Ed. And no, I am not aware of any changes.
Yes, the filter is in PP, the sky was naturally gold color since I used a warm WB at sunrise, just enhanced it with a filter. I could have done the same with Curves and masking.
I do not understand how it can be OK to remove a hundred branches and five birds from the BG and consider a color filter out of the box :eek:

I must be getting old :)

Juan Carlos Vindas
01-26-2010, 11:14 PM
To me it is a green heron but I could be wrong.
Love the colors and simple yet effective composition. I believe this is not an OOTB image, I've seen here many other pictures that could go to that forum and nobody have said a word.

James Shadle
01-26-2010, 11:51 PM
Todd

Todd, we don't have a Manipulated Forum.

This is from the posting guideline for our Avian Critique Forum: If you have significantly altered your image by adding or removing elements of the composition, we ask that you let folks know that as well.

This is from the posting guideline for our Out Of The Box Forum:
Not every image conforms to the so called "rules" of photography. This forum is dedicated to breaking out of the box of conformity. Post Avian, Wildlife, Macro/Flora and Landscapes images that will expose us to new ideas. This forum is for OOTB images modified or created using post processing techniques and / or images created entirely in camera.

IMO this image should be in both Avian and OOTB. That is why I have encouraged our moderators to copy threads between Avian and OOTB.

OOTB does not mean "Digitally Altered". I've seen and try to create Avian images that display Out Of The Box thinking in camera, with no PS at all.

Todd Frost
01-26-2010, 11:53 PM
Sorry Fabs, did not intend on a big discussion on whether it should be oob or not. Just was curious about what the boundaries were. I totally agree with you re. the removal of things etc... and its ok but use of filter or vignette creates a problem. Next time I will pm any such questions so it does not derail comments on a beautiful image such as this.
Todd

Todd Frost
01-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Thanks James, I was typing as you were posting. Thanks for the explanation, bad choice of words on my part as I was referring to the oob forum.
Todd

Fabs Forns
01-27-2010, 12:01 AM
Sorry Fabs, did not intend on a big discussion on whether it should be oob or not. Just was curious about what the boundaries were. I totally agree with you re. the removal of things etc... and its ok but use of filter or vignette creates a problem. Next time I will pm any such questions so it does not derail comments on a beautiful image such as this.
Todd

Todd, it was a very valid question and I am glad you asked so we can clarify the issue.
I have copied the thread to OOTB, because my post could go either way.
Thanks!

Fabs Forns
01-27-2010, 12:53 AM
BTW, William Maroldo (Bill) got the cigar in OOTB:

Yellow-crowned Night Heron!!!!

William Currie
01-27-2010, 01:00 AM
Very nice image.To even talk about a filter being used is grazy to me they have used them for years in photography so i really don't think this image should go to another form silly using a filter is part of the procese

Marc Mol
01-27-2010, 01:16 AM
BTW, William Maroldo (Bill) got the cigar in OOTB:

Yellow-crowned Night Heron!!!!
Just seen it now Fabs

Well done Bill :D

Fabs Forns
01-27-2010, 01:19 AM
No Bill (William Maroldo) here in replies Fabs :confused:

Marc, the post was copied to the Out of the Box and he replied there.

Morkel Erasmus
01-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Fabs this is a stunning image. My kind of shot. I don't view this as OOTB. Was going to say black-crowned but the answer is given above...

Mike Tracy
01-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Nicely seen and wonderfully executed.

Since the birds profile as a whole is tack sharp I would like to see the out line of the lower tail feathers more defined.

Does the term OOTB carry a negative connotation ?

adrian dancy
01-27-2010, 01:48 PM
I only know it's a bird I'd love to photograph with a background I see all too rarely. Nice work. I am glad you did not make the bird darker it would otherwise look pasted or stuck on.

Michael Wolf
01-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Sweet image !

I do like the BG very much and think it works in this forum.

WIlliam Maroldo
01-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Actually the BCNH has shorter legs and the feet barely extend past the tail in flight. It also helps that I take pictures of both species all the time.
From a guy that spends most of my time over at OOTB, I don't think a simple gradient applied to a background would be out of the box. Sorry, it is still in the box IMHO. regards~Bill