PDA

View Full Version : Polarizing Filter Use

John Goldman
01-26-2010, 05:21 PM
I've been a member for about 3 months, posted a few photos and reviewed a lot of the other photo postings. I see almost no mention of polarizing filter use. I use one almost all the time. What are you other photographers preferences regarding polarizing filters usage? All the time, some of the time, never? When to, when not to? What else?

Alfred Forns
01-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Hi John

Don't use much except around water if needed, light loss is great !!!

Bill Foxworthy
01-26-2010, 07:03 PM
I use one on my 17-40 with my 5D MKII. Mostly to control and help with clouds.

Roger Clark
01-26-2010, 10:34 PM
I use them on some landscapes, but rarely on wildlife. I have a polarizer for my 500 f/4 but have only used it a couple of times.

Eric Tillman
01-27-2010, 01:49 AM
I use a polarizer for some land- and cityscapes, and even for outdoor portraits (helps tone down reflections in the background). I have found the polarizer to be very useful in my 500 when shooting birds on or in water.

Eric Virkler
01-30-2010, 04:05 PM
I only use one when I feel it will enhance the photo. Typically waterfall shots and occasional landscapes. I don't own a neutral density filter, so I'll use the polarizer if I need to slow down my shutter speed. I'll also grab the polarizer any time I see a rainbow. I don't usually use it when photographying wildlife.

Eric Virkler
Faces of Nature Photography
www.ericjvirkler.com (http://www.ericjvirkler.com)

Robert Amoruso
02-01-2010, 04:01 PM
John,

I think you will find that polarizer use is popular in landscape and architectural photography to control reflections and glare from reflective surfaces like water and glass. Will also tone down highlight reflections on foliage.

With birds and other wildlife, we are generally trying to maximize shutter speed and will not use it as it cuts light to the sensor. Besides, wildlife rarely needs its benefits.

As mentioned, can deepen sky contrast and give it snap.