PDA

View Full Version : Hells Bay

Connie Mier
01-26-2010, 08:41 AM
I apologize for not participating on the forum and hopefully I will find more time to leave comments. I also hope to post more photos of some of my Everglades trips. I am most interested in the perception of those that do not paddle the Everglades since my view is biased.

This was shot early morning, as storm clouds approached.
Sony a100, 1/200, f6.3, ISO 400. Because of noise, I do not use an ISO higher than 400 with this camera. I know that the aperture setting is not ideal for a landscape shot, but I didn't want to slow down the speed further (PS, sony's image stabilization is wonderful).

Thank you for looking
Connie

Dave Mills
01-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Hi Connie, The lighting is very nice along with interesting skies. I like the angle of the canoe pointing in the direction of the opposite shore taking your eye with it. I changed the positioning of the boat so the paddlers head is not merging with the shoreline. I also made the boat a bit bigger and cropped the image slightly...

Connie Mier
01-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Oh wow, this is really cool. Dave, thank you for taking the time to do that. You are always doing interesting tweaks to photos for improvement. I'm going to have to ask you again how you did this and made it look authentic!
Connie

Alfred Forns
01-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Hi Connie I like having the other boat in the seen, might consider making one from the ****'s Bay Chickee !!

Dave Mills
01-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi Connie, I'm sure there are other ways to do this but I selected(lasso) the boat and it's wake and used the move tool to bring it down in the image. While it was still selected I transformed the boat by making it a bit larger since it was closer. I then cloned or patched the blank areas caused by moving the boat. Sounds like alot but took me 10 minutes...

Robert Amoruso
01-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Connie,

I agree that the boat location is better in the repost w/o the intersection with the head.

Best to anticipate this in the field and capture the image w/o that intersection.

Nick Palmieri
01-27-2010, 09:34 AM
My photography must be improving as that intersection was the first thing I noticed when I looked at this image. I really like the re-post, maybe a bit of a crop off the top??? Nice composition overall...The clouds are pretty cool.

Connie Mier
01-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Hi Connie I like having the other boat in the seen, might consider making one from the ****'s Bay Chickee !!

Thank you everyone.

Alfred, I got several from there, posted one a few months ago. Love those chickee scenes!

Thanks Dave for the explanation on PS. The first chance I get, I will give it a shot.

Robert and Nick, I agree and have become more conscious of this when shooting a scene with a boat. Yet another challenge to overcome!

Roman Kurywczak
01-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Hi Connie,
Can't really add to the excellent comments above but I also feel the boat placement was improved in the repost. I think trying to pull out any more detail in the sky you can will also help. I think you are capturing the essence of the glades nicely!

Connie Mier
01-28-2010, 07:50 AM
Thank you Roman, I appreciate your comments.