PDA

View Full Version : Pronking

Callie de Wet
01-26-2010, 03:00 AM
This is what Springboks do. We only got one chance to lay a lens on this action. Should have used the full 400, but the action was to fast remember to zoom! D300; 200-400 F4; ISO 800; F7.1; 1/2000, +0,3 EV; AP; Matrix, 15h50, 280 mm<o></o>
North of Twee Rivieren in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park.<o></o>

Ken Watkins
01-26-2010, 03:21 AM
I have tried for years to get a decent shot like this but generally have failed miserably.
To be a little picky I would have preferred more height on the jump, and less harsh light.

Peter Buntman
01-26-2010, 03:25 AM
Great capture, and well done, maybe a touch more space on right as it’s a bit central for me.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Marc Mol
01-26-2010, 04:07 AM
As Ken has mentioned, you've done well just to get these flighty guys sharp in shot.
All nits aside, well done.
TFS

Steve Kaluski
01-26-2010, 04:10 AM
Well done to capture this, but it does look a little odd suspended in mid air:D

Would agree a tad more to the right & top, less at the bottom. Why +1/3/ Curious.

Steve

Callie de Wet
01-26-2010, 05:23 AM
Hi All
Thank you for looking and commenting, I really appreciate. Yes, I would have loved to nail the bok at 3 m in the air:D, the problem is, by the time we stopped and I had a camera in hand, the high jumps were already past and they did not accommodate us again – foiled! There is space to the front of the buck, not to the top and left as I was following him with the sensor point on the left of the camera. As for the +0,3, I do not know – at 46ºC outside, I could not see properly on the viewfinder due the harsh light Ken has referred too, so I often adjust to what looks right on a screen that cannot cope with the light.<o></o>

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-26-2010, 06:29 AM
The action still looks fab to me Callie. Love the pose and only wish for a lighter eye. It's probably dark, so perhaps a catchlight. :) Well done.

Stu Bowie
01-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Yep, what they do best, and no matter how high he's jumped, you nailed the shot Callie. Pops nicely from the BG too.

Steve Kaluski
01-26-2010, 10:30 AM
so I often adjust to what looks right on a screen that cannot cope with the light.

Callie, if you are saying that what is indicated by the picture/image on the LCD is what you go by, then you do remarkable well. You should be looking at the histogram which will give you ALL the answers you need, nothing else.:)

Steve

David Fletcher
01-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Nicely done Callie. Nits mentioned. Good fit Bokkie. WD!

Callie de Wet
01-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Callie, if you are saying that what is indicated by the picture/image on the LCD is what you go by, then you do remarkable well. You should be looking at the histogram which will give you ALL the answers you need, nothing else.:)

Steve
Steve, I must confess, I have never ever looked at the histogram, I know I should, but somehow have never done so. I eyeball the colour and adjust accordingly. Thanks, I will try this. Now it is RAW and Histogram to get used to~:eek:

Morkel Erasmus
01-26-2010, 02:01 PM
I so want a pronking shot like this Callie! the light was harsh but well handled. it looks a tad oversaturated? sharpness looks good...

Alfred Forns
01-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Hi Callie Histogram is your best friend and probably best tool in digital photography !!!

Did real well in PS, harsh light and one third over whites came out much better than expected !!! Excellent image !!!

Vida van der Walt
01-27-2010, 02:35 AM
Wonderful pose and very well captured Callie. Ditto harsh light well handled.:)

D. Robert Franz
01-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Love the action..