1/800 sec, f/5.6
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: +1/3
ISO: 400
Flash: Off

Marc Mol
01-26-2010, 04:12 AM
Nice low perspective in golden light Peter, if you lose the frame we can see a larger presentation.;)
Looks like it could do with some selective USM on the Rhino.
TFS

Steve Kaluski
01-26-2010, 04:14 AM
Cute capture Peter and I love the light. Just would like to see a bit more room top & to the right. Shame the two birds are almost hidden.

Steve

Stu Bowie
01-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Great low angle Pete, and I like the soft light. Looks like he's had his mud bath already.

Alfred Forns
01-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Agree on the little extra room but mom might be on the right !! Excellent feel and do like the low angle !!!!

David Thomasson
01-26-2010, 08:29 PM
That is one crusty little critter. Love the golden light. The little birds are small pluses.

Dark subject/dark background is a challenge. I experimented with trying to pull the subject out a bit more.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7132/rhinox.jpg

Peter Buntman
01-27-2010, 02:10 AM
Thanks All, David for some reason the image posted the colours are different from my original, and advice on why the colours look less saturated on BFN

Ken Watkins
01-27-2010, 03:19 AM
I like this image, the repost is a little too light, but shows more detail.

Peter you are not alone in having differences between what you see and what ens up here, but I have no idea how to fix it. Sometimes I preview posts and go back and amend my JPEG conversion.

David Thomasson
01-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks All, David for some reason the image posted the colours are different from my original, and advice on why the colours look less saturated on BFN

You're probably seeing different colors when you post because your image has an AdobeRGB profile embedded. When posting on the web, you're better off to use sRGB.

But in this case, I also changed the colors on purpose. The problem I see with the original is that the rhino gets somewhat
lost against the background, and that happens here for two reasons: The hue, saturation, and brightness are nearly
the same along edge (A/B) that separates subject from background. In fact,
the saturation
levels at A are higher than at B -- which often causes the background to overpower the subject.

So, in this case, I reduced saturation and brightness of the background and increased both values, especially
brightness, in the subject (C/D). All done with curves.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8751/rhino2.jpg

There's a trade-off, of course, either way you go. If you faithfully preserve the scene as you saw it, the subject
gets a bit lost, as in this case. But if you pop the subject, you don't preserve the scene as you saw it. I generally
don't worry too much about preserving the actual conditions unless I'm reporting facts as in journalism, but I recognize
that others sometimes place more value on rendering the scene just as they observed it.