PDA

View Full Version : The Poser #2

Arthur Morris
01-25-2010, 09:05 PM
On a rock just beyond the one that yesterday's pelican was on this Double-crested Cormorant posed for me the day before my group arrived. The use of fill flash was instrumental to the success of this image.

Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens with the EOS-1D MIV. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/320 sec. at f/5.6. Fill flash at -1 stop with Better Beamer.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

ps: I created about 15 images of this bird. This, the first, was my fave.

Aidan Briggs
01-25-2010, 09:12 PM
That is just sweet. The soft light, perfect use of fill flash, and great pose with the open bill and spread wings make this my favorite of yours from the San Diego trip.

Bob Pelkey
01-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Surveying your venues before a gathering seems like a very prudent thing to do. Would an increased stop or two on the fill flash have benefited the image?

Ryan Schain
01-25-2010, 11:06 PM
I like the bird, sharpness, pose, perch, and background. I might take just a little bit off the top.

denise ippolito
01-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Artie, Beautiful details and pose. I like the BG and think your flash work looks perfect.:)

Stu Bowie
01-26-2010, 03:48 AM
Artie, fill flash has brought out the detail nicely, and good show of the wings from the front. I agree taking a tad off the top will work.

Arthur Morris
01-26-2010, 06:20 AM
Thanks all for stopping by and for your kind words.

Surveying your venues before a gathering seems like a very prudent thing to do. Would an increased stop or two on the fill flash have benefited the image?

Bob, though I know all of my IPT locations quite well I find it reassuring to be able to visit a spot or two before the tour starts.

As for suggesting more flash, it would seem that your monitor or your screen angle/calibration strip is a bit off as the brightness and underwing detail looks perfect from here and nobody else joined your club :) -1 is has high as I usually get with fill unless I am working in bright sun.

Aidan, We will see you soon!

Myer Bornstein
01-26-2010, 06:33 AM
Great pose with excellent details. love your work :o

Juan Carlos Vindas
01-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi Arthur

I like the pose and exposure in this one but I find the bill too messy(lower jaw) Now this could go a bit bigger, may be 900x600?

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Artie, excellent job with exposure as usual. Good call on the flash exp. comp I think. Anything more might have blown the whites in the perch.

Arthur Morris
01-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks all, especially the OOTB moderator.

Hi Arthur, I like the pose and exposure in this one but I find the bill too messy(lower jaw) Now this could go a bit bigger, may be 900x600?

JC, you have good eyes. There are a very few small body feathers on the lower mandible as a result of recent preening. I am sticking with 800 wide just for the heck of it. :)

Juan Carlos Vindas
01-26-2010, 04:22 PM
I am sticking with 800 wide just for the heck of it. :)[/quote]

Well Arthur, the image is yours and you do whatever you want with it.

Arthur Morris
01-26-2010, 04:30 PM
JC, you seem taken aback. I feel that 800 is already big enough for folks to grab and make some nice small prints. And at greater than 800 it is hard for many folks to see the whole image without scrolling.

Michael Zajac
01-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Artie, I like the wing pose and the exposure. Sharp details and pleasing BG.

Bob Pelkey
01-27-2010, 01:31 AM
As for suggesting more flash, it would seem that your monitor or your screen angle/calibration strip is a bit off as the brightness and underwing detail looks perfect from here and nobody else joined your club :) -1 is has high as I usually get with fill unless I am working in bright sun.

Artie, The wing detail looks great. Realizing what a difficult dark subject you were dealing with, I had your YCNH from Bulletin 284 in mind as I often do. I thought you might be able to bring a little more detail especially into the cormorant's right flank. I tilted my monitor down slightly and it's increased brightness a little.

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-27-2010, 01:40 AM
I think if we all start worrying about people grabbing our images it would be best to stop posting or post at 500 pixels or less? It's a flattering thing I would think that folks believe an image is good enough for a small print they may keep for themselves. Of course, some are more unscrupulous surely. :)

Either way, I love the image Artie. The detail is fantastic and BG soft and well fitting. I don't see the need for more flash EC. :) Thanks for sharing.

Arthur Morris
01-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Artie, The wing detail looks great. Realizing what a difficult dark subject you were dealing with, I had your YCNH from Bulletin 284 in mind as I often do. I thought you might be able to bring a little more detail especially into the cormorant's right flank. I tilted my monitor down slightly and it's increased brightness a little.

Bob, There is detail in the darkest blacks even in the JPEG here... Blacks are supposed to be Black.