PDA

View Full Version : Warbler in the Grass

Cecil Kirksey
01-25-2010, 08:49 PM
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_MfWtUK-sTe4/S15ICuG-1hI/AAAAAAAAAaA/J7_zYouJnws/s800/IMG_2276_birdphoto.jpg

This little fellow was shot on the ground near a feeder. I was using a tripod.
20D
400mm f/5.6 L
ISO 100
f# 5.6
SS 1/320
Aperture Priority
Partial Metering
EC +2/3
AI Servo AF
Raw to JPEG via Zoombrowser
About a 30% crop

I find the small birds more of a challenge than some of Florida's larger birds herons, egrets, ibsises etc.

Ryan Schain
01-25-2010, 11:04 PM
I like the bird, the colors, and the background. Pine Warblers are such photogenic birds. I might selectively sharpen the are around the eye some more, and I would have liked some more on the bottom for the virtual feet. If you can revisit the original file, and have the room, I might crop this differently, leaving the bird on the right side of the frame, with space on the left to look towards, and room for the feet on the bottom.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Angle, sharpness and light look good. I would put the bird a bit higher and further to the right in the frame as it is a bit centered as presented. I also wish the head were angled toward you a bit.

Cecil Kirksey
01-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I cropped the shot to try to get the eye at 1/3 and 1/3. Selective sharpening is unfortunely not one of my skill sets. HA probably could have been better but the little bugger didn't listen to me to stay still!!! Shooting this guy is not easy because he twitches so much. In this case he was on ground looking for food. This was the best of several shots.

Ryan Schain
01-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I cropped the shot to try to get the eye at 1/3 and 1/3. Selective sharpening is unfortunely not one of my skill sets. HA probably could have been better but the little bugger didn't listen to me to stay still!!! Shooting this guy is not easy because he twitches so much. In this case he was on ground looking for food. This was the best of several shots.

With your camera, there is no reason for you to be shooting at ISO 100 here. ISO 400 would have increased your shutter speed, and helped you with the twitching. 1/320 of a second is usually too slow to guarantee you a frozen songbird.