PDA

View Full Version : Winter Gerberas III

Julie Kenward
01-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Although I got more than a dozen good images out of these three flowers this will probably be the last one I post (but the rest are on my website if you want to see 'em!)

This, I think, is my favorite of them all and I'll tell you why:

First, look at that glint of light pouring through the petals...that's the first I've seen of the sun in over two weeks. It broke through the clouds on Sunday and I turned the flower sideways to the natural light with the black BG behind it.

Second, I love the comp -it is always a challenge to make a flower look like more than the sum of its parts and this one really says "flower" to me - even though part of it is missing and the stem is barely visible. Again...that light streaming in from the petals takes my eye right where I want it to go. You don't get many images where it all works but I'm pretty happy with this one.

Third, and last, you can turn it horizontally and it works both ways - it's just more powerful (to me) as a vertical shown here. On its side it looks like the world's happiest umbrella. :D

This concludes the gerbera daisy series until spring when I can bring them home by the planterful!
Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
f7.1 @ 1.80th, ISO 400
Manual mode, pattern metering, handheld, natural light, black poster BG
Levels, curves, saturation adjustments in ACR & CS4.

Mike Moats
01-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Hey Jules, I do like the comp on this one, has a different twist. Like the DOF choice.

Julie Kenward
01-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks, Mike. I'm slowly but surely inching my way out of my 2/8-4.0 zone with florals and trying to get more depth to them. Turning the image on it's side forces me to stop down more than I normally would and is helping me to break out of my old habits! Whether or not I ever get to f32...that remains to be seen!

Cindy Mead
01-25-2010, 10:10 PM
the colors and light sing here Jules.. I don't always find the centers of flowers that attractive, so I really like your comp in that it focuses on the rich colors and details of the petals. They fill the frame nicely- well done!

Vida van der Walt
01-27-2010, 01:38 AM
Beautiful image Jules! Love the lighting, colours, dof and comp.:)

Allen Sparks
01-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Beautiful image Julie...love the light through the petals. a wonderful composition.

Ed Cordes
01-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Jules, this has wonderful light and a sense of mystery that makes my eyes linger longer and longer.

Julie Kenward
01-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the feedback so much. I think this image is a testament to what you can do with a cheap flower and a break in the clouds. ;)

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-29-2010, 04:43 AM
Love the light and diagonal comp. Well done Jules. :)

Anita Bower
01-29-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm going to be the odd one out and say that this is my least favorite of your three Gerbera images. The light is very nice, as is the angle of the flower. The OOF center and the upper right corner petals are distracting to me. The lovely light does not seem to focus on any one point, so my eyes wander around.

I'm reluctant to post this comment, but would feel even worse not doing so as I've benefited from the honest feedback I get on this forum.

What matters is that you, Jules, are happy with this image and that it speaks to you!

(No sun for 2 weeks would leave me rather depressed.)

Julie Kenward
01-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Anita, if you EVER bypass giving me an honest opinion about one of my images in this forum so help me woman I'll have you flogged with a dozen gerbera daisies! Believe me when I tell you I have learned that all opinions are subjective and they all have merit. If this were on a shelf waiting to be bought some people would like it and some people wouldn't. Knowing WHY someone does not love an image is just as important as why someone does. Give it to me straight or be banned to the Landscape forum forever and ever! :D;):D

Anita Bower
01-30-2010, 06:10 AM
Anita, if you EVER bypass giving me an honest opinion about one of my images in this forum so help me woman I'll have you flogged with a dozen gerbera daisies! Believe me when I tell you I have learned that all opinions are subjective and they all have merit. If this were on a shelf waiting to be bought some people would like it and some people wouldn't. Knowing WHY someone does not love an image is just as important as why someone does. Give it to me straight or be banned to the Landscape forum forever and ever! :D;):D

Thank you! ;)