PDA

View Full Version : Mistletoebird [Dicaeum hirundinaceum]

Thonnaksar NOP
01-25-2010, 03:03 PM
This is an image that I created at the same time as Akos last Sunday.
This male was bringing a mistletoe berry to feed his 3 chicks in the nest.

Nikon D2Hs, 600 VR, 1/200", f/5.6, @400 ISO, Tripod, Fill flash -2EV. Image cropped to 50% of the original frame.

http://i46.tinypic.com/20v0k1k.jpg

Don Lacy
01-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Nice exposer and detail on the bird and the berry is a nice added bonus. I do find the leaves on the right side of the frame a bit distracting and competing with the bird for my attention.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Good-looking bird, good sharpness, eye contact and the berry adds to it. I don't mind the leaves on the left side but would prefer if the OOF branches in the upper right were not there. I would desaturate the reds a few points and am wondering about the whites on the underside, they look a bit greenish on my monitor.

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-26-2010, 03:12 AM
Bon jour mon ami. Ca va? :D

Wonderful image indeed. While I don't mind all the OOF elements as that's how it is in the Australian bush and I personally prefer to keep the environment as authentic as possible, I can see how the presentation would benefit from what the guys above suggested.

A little NR on the BG would be good. :) Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to catching up again soon!

Rob Drummond
01-26-2010, 03:38 AM
Nice use of flash and great detail. I like the leaves on the left but agree the ones on the right could go if you felt inclined

cheers
Rob

Leo Berzins
01-26-2010, 05:43 AM
The OOF foliage above and to the right of the bird might be less distracting if it extended below but it just disappears behind the bird. Also, if it were mine, I'd remove the central catchlight from the flash.

All that aside, you've captured a nice pose and exposed it well and I love the mistletoe berry in the bill.

Gerard Satherley
01-28-2010, 01:30 AM
This is very nice Sar. The berry puts it over the top.

Thonnaksar NOP
01-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Thanks everyone for your precious inputs. One day when I feel completely familiar with Photoshop I will try to improve the look of this image.
Thanks again !