PDA

View Full Version : Pileated Woodpecker

Steve Large
01-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Hi Everyone,
Hope you had a lovely weekend. This is the first weekend in a while with nice sunny weather (At least for one Day :o). I took this shot of a pileated woodpecker here in Nanaimo at Neck Point. They opened up a new section to include some Gary Oaks and a bit more of the beach. He came down to hunt for insects in one of the old driftwood logs and that was where I caught this pic.

Specs: Canon 50D, 500 f/4 + 1.4X, 1/200 sec at F/8, ISO 800, EC +.7

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Joe Senzatimore
01-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Great subject to capture. I might take a little off the top and try to tone down the tree bark as it seems very bright. The subject looks good. Nice color and exposure.

Dennis Zaebst
01-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Very nice capture at a natural location. Agree with Joe BG could use a bit of toning down....blacks on bird look a bit bright too. I would take it down about 1/2 - 2/3 stops in post.

Steve Large
01-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the input. Here is another shot with a bit more black added and the wood toned down a bit.

Steve

Randy Stout
01-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Steve:

Excellent capture to get this guy in the clear at a good shooting angle.
Nice display of the propping tail feathers.

Head angle mentioned, as was the log being too bright.
I think Peter got it just about right. I have taken thousands of pictures of these guys, and they don't have truly black feathers, at least not in Michigan.

Thanks for sharing, hope you have some more.

Randy

Steve Large
01-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the work on the re-post. What meathod did you use for the log? It looks much better. I will try some recovery in Lightroom to tone down the whites.

Steve

Steve Large
01-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi Randy,
Thanks for your comments. It was a rare occaision to find him down so close to the water. Usually as you know, they are hanging off of a fir tree or some such position. There are lots there at Neck point but catching them in good light and unobstructed is a challenge.

Steve

Steve Large
01-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Hi Steve - I made a careful selection of the bird only and put that in its own layer. Then I created a copy of BG. In this copy I darkened the whites (~40%), darkened the neutrals (~20%) (In Selective Color). Finally I selected the highlights (In Select->Color Range->Highlights and applied a mild linear burn (opacity 25%). I left the bird untouched as I don't know how it really looks ... :) never seen one.
Thanks Peter,
I do know some PS but my skills in it are limited to a few simple actions. I will try your meathod on my own and see if I can get the same results.

Steve

Thomas Herou
01-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Very nice portrait!

Edward Fisher
01-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Very nice Steve !
The only thing that I would change would be to clone out the distracting strands of blonde grass in the BG.

Steve Large
01-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Thanks Ed,
Now that you mention it, I do notice them. I guess I was concerned with getting the log a bit darker but I think while I am at it I might as well get rid of them too.

Steve

Ted Willcox
01-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Hi Steve, Nice image of a male Pileated. I am with Ed on the cloning. Well done.
Ted