PDA

View Full Version : Havana Roofs and views- camera experiment

Steve Bein
01-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi,
I went to Cuba over New Years on a treasury department license. No sneaking needed. Havana was interesting and I hooked up with a photographer who had a list of desires from his agent.. Lots of walking I left home with a sore back, clicking knee and some ankle problems. It was also recommended that we travel light, so I left my usual canon system at home and tried out a panasonic lightweight GF1, which was rated by some as better than the 5D that was my landscape camera. Anyway, i also bought a wide angle and tele screw on set to expand the 35mm equivalent of 28-90mm on the GF1. that was a mistake since either the set I bought was too cheap, or it was just a bad idea. My laptop stopped working before i arrived, so I was not able to processs anything during the trip and I had to use the SD cards I had as storage. What do they say, Man plans and god laughs. Anyway, there were many memorable things that happened. including the stopped toilet on teh 13th floor and urgently, carefully and successfully walking down the 14 flights to the only public toilet because the elevator was not working. Dysentery not withstanding.
Anyway, I also upgraded to CS4 and used the luminance adjustments to bring out the colors of the very interesting roofs. There were very interesting skies due to weather blown down from the north. Here is just one of the many roof views from teh 13th floor of the Deauville hotel.

Steve Bein
01-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Results of the GF1- Love it for its limits, the quality was as advetrised. The dome is the Capitolia dome. the light was a gift, breaking through the clouds and I wish I knew how to edit the original post to include this info.
Steve

Gus Cobos
01-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Beautiful image and capture Steve,
It still has a touch of old world charm fifty years after the fact...:cool:

Alfred Forns
01-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Great view Steve !! Hope you can post many more !!

.. the tall building is the Capitol Building and the other large one to the left is the Presidential Palace !!

Steve Bein
01-26-2010, 10:23 AM
thanks for the info on the presidential palace.
Steve

Grady Weed
01-27-2010, 02:32 PM
A nice painterly feel to this one. A rich colorful palete.