PDA

View Full Version : "Double Ach"

D. Robert Franz
01-25-2010, 09:01 AM
As anyone who's been there knows Double Arch is difficult to photograph because of the ever present shadows.

I tried to overcome the problesm by doing a 3 shot HDR but tried to keep it looking somewhat natural.

Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Date/Time: 2010:01:13 10:23:51
Shutter speed: 1/10 sec
Aperture: 16
ISO: 100
Focal length: 16mm

Robert Amoruso
01-26-2010, 05:29 PM
The HDR did great with the shadows. Very natural looking.

I can see why that green bush ended up in the middle FG; in order the get the BG arches positioned; but think I would like to have seen it left or right.

Overall the image looks to bright to me. I reposted with a highlights selection on a BG copy - created a tone mask from that - blending to Multiply and adjusted to 80%.

If ended up too saturated so reduce that 25%.

For those interested, above technique covered here:

Go to http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434 to see my Image Contrast and Tonal Range Tweaks, Part 1.

Go to http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=161168 to see my Image Contrast and Tonal Range Tweaks, Part 2.

Dave Mills
01-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Hi Robert, Robert did a nice job bring up a bit more color and detail. If my memory is correct the light hits the arch at this angle late in the morning so it's a difficult area to make a successful image along with early light.You did capture a good angle on the formation along with some foreground interest...

Roman Kurywczak
01-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Hey Dale,
One of the tougher ones because of the shadows. I think you handled it very well and I prefer Robert's repost for the FG but your original sky....even though I am a sucker for deep blues. Nnice job with the seperation in the rocks and juniper.

Ed Cordes
01-28-2010, 06:48 PM
I like the re post. It is a very hard arch to photograph. The re-post brings out more color and detail. It would be tough to get the bush de-centered and still show the full effect of the 2 arches.

Dave Blinder
01-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Great comp and exposure, agree that I'd like to see the highlights a bit toned down. Nice use of HDR, looks very natural.