PDA

View Full Version : Wonders of Nature

Vida van der Walt
01-25-2010, 08:56 AM
The first time I saw this tiny wasp (4mm) on a tree trunk in my garden, it took my breath away. I silently prayed that it will sit still for a moment and allow me to come closer for a shot. No such luck as it almost immediately flew away. I don't know if there is another hobby that can take you from elation to despair in a matter of seconds. Two weeks before, I noticed tiny, almost pinhole sized tunnels in the trunk and a few different types of tiny bees and wasps climbing in and out of these holes at various times. They are all insects known to lay their eggs in wood. After thinking about where the little wasp could have gone to, I realized that it is most probably a species of cuckoo wasp (they are all bright metallic colours) which, like cuckoo birds, lays its eggs in the nests of other bees and wasps. I then reasoned that the little wasp could come back to investigate the holes and lay eggs. The next week I went to check on the tree a number of times a day and after 5 days, eventually found it crawling in and out of one of these holes. This time I managed to get close enough for a couple of shots before it took off. Two days later, I noticed that 2 of the holes have been closed with mud. Hopefully it got a chance to lay its eggs inside and my garden will have a few more of these little wonders soon.:)
The angle of the shot could have been better but the lumps and bumps in the tree trunk got in the way of my lens.
Canon 5D Mark11; MT 24EX; MP E 65mm
apert f16; ss 1/200; iso 250
cropped, shrpn, nr, levels, curves.

Stu Bowie
01-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Vida, another amazing image from the land of minitures ;) I like the green iridescence on the wasp, and a very interesting shaped head. Thanks for sharing your story and we hope that eggs were laid, so you can capture even smaller wonderful creatures.

Markus Jais
01-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Great shot. Beautiful colors. I like the diagonal line.
Would it have been possible to lighten up the shadow below the insect a little?

Markus

Thomas Herou
01-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Lovely shining colors.
In Europe this family of wasps is called Ruby-tailed and belongs to
the vast number of different Ichneumons which are parasitic.

Julie Kenward
01-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Love that irridescent look on him! I wonder why nature does that? It's so amazing to see such detail and clarity on these guys and the sheen really adds another dimension. I, too, wondered if the shadow could be brought up a bit? Can't wait to see what you get this spring!

Mike Moats
01-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Hey Vida, very cool critter, love the color and textures in the body. Well done.

Vida van der Walt
01-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Hi Stu, Markus, Thomas, Jules and Mike. Thank you all for the lovely comments.:) Markus and Jules, you are right about that shadow. I tried to lighten it by running the dodge tool over it but it became grayish and lost colour. I don't know if there is perhaps a better way of doing it?

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-26-2010, 04:21 AM
Your commentary is very very good and I love reading and learning about your method and approach so thanks for that. I love seeing these images with that lens as I aspire to get my own eventually. Your work is fabulous from what I have seen so far and this is no exception. Love the colors and framing.

Ramesh Adkoli
01-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Another gem, Vida. My daughter saw this image and exclaimed " That's a swarovski bug!". That is an apt decription for it. It is definitely bejeweled. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Vida van der Walt
01-27-2010, 01:28 AM
Akos and Ramesh, thank you very much. Highly appreciated.:) Akos, the lens is wonderful and you will never regret buying it.:) Ramesh, what a lovely and apt description of this wasp by your daughter.:)