PDA

View Full Version : Above Marcy Dam

Nick Palmieri
01-25-2010, 08:36 AM
This image was taken from Marcy Dam in the Adirondacks. The clouds were very thick and we got a few bursts of sun breaking through. It's actually two images merged to bring a "little" detail out of the trees. It was really quite eerie on the dam that day but I am afraid that the image may be too dark??? Opinions on that would be appreciated...Tripod mounted Canon 40D, with 12-24mm at 15mm PP in Silver Efex and added some film grain for effect.

Dave Mills
01-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Hi Nick, Nice image for conversion creating a somber mood along with a dramatic sky. You might want to make the image larger during conversion since I brought the image into PS and wanted to try a few things but the image was too small. Good job overall...

Connie Mier
01-26-2010, 08:44 AM
I like this compositioinally and the mood is strong. I do think it is a bit dark though, but that seems like an easy fix

Robert Amoruso
01-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Nick,

Here it is with some Shadow/Highlight correction. I like how it makes the snow on the trees stand out. I cropped to balance the sun with the large FG tree group on the left. Though I like the longer view of the OP, I find the sun's placement unbalances the image make the left half feel heavy.

Roman Kurywczak
01-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Hey Nick,
Actually, I like the darker! It is a very personal choice....and maybe a hair more....but I still feel it conveys the mood. As for the grain.....ditto to the above comment by me.....you either like it or you don't! Endless options with this one. Nicely composed and well thought out.

Dave Blinder
01-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Nick - Love the comp here, I think the somber mood is a great idea but for my own likings I'd prefer a hint of more light... perhaps in the midtones.